TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Classic Comic Archive

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uncle Greedy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Classic Comic Archive Reply with quote

I had this idea a year ago, but I simply forgot to post it. I would like to make a list for classic comics (anything before the 1980) that would qualify for an library of comics that should be preserved as importnat works of the genre, something you would put on microfilm and seal it in an abandonded salt-mine for future generations. I have a list so far, and you can add.
This list is meant for comics only that have qualities that make them stand out against the popular mainstream, may it be for artistic reasons or contense.
Some rules:
1. No comics that are just popular because they are commercially successful.
2. Classic comics, made before the 1980ies.
3. Please separete into MAGAZINES containing work by several artists and SERIALS/COLLECTIONS/ALBUMS made by one artist only.

So far:

Magazines
Tales From The Crypt (EC)
Haunt Of Fear (EC)
Vault Of Terror (EC)

Vampirella (Warren)
Eerie (Warren)
Creepy (Warren)

Slow Death
Zodiac Mindwarp
Zap
Metal Hurlant/ Heavy Metal/ Schwermetall
U-Comix (ONLY the early ones, rest is forgetable)
Wimmens Comix
Pilote
2000 A.D.

Serials/ Collections / Albums
Adventures of Swet Gwendoline (John Willie) (Surely controversial, but not to be ignored as a genre-piece)
Airtight Garage (Moebius)
Arzachel (Moebius)
Asterix (Only those of 1961 - 1979, "The Gaul until Asterix in Belgium". ) (Goscinny & Uderzo)
Barbarella (Forest)
Classics Illustrated series *
Dick Tracy (Chesters Gould's work only)
Filipino Food (Ed Badajos)
Flash Gordon (Alex Raymond's work only)
Freak Brothers (Shelton)
Fritz The Cat (Crumb)
Jane At War (Pett)
Kinder Kids (Feininger)
Krazy Kat (Herriman)
Lucifera (Morricone a.o.)
Moondog (Metzger)
Mr. Natural (Crumb)
Nick Knatterton (Schmidt)
Phoebe Zeitgeist (Springer & O'Donoghue)
Rock & Pop (Sole, Dister, Gottlieb)
Rowlf (Corben)
Seicherls Weltreise (Kmoch)
TinTin (Not the videogame-movie) (Herge)
Valentina (Crepax)
Vuzz (Druillet)
We Willie Winkie's World (Feininger)

EDIT: I have reworked the list and will do again, for sure. Comics marked with a "*" are those I do not know by myself, but were suggested by members and I could only check material I did find on the internet.
As I am looking for comics that stand out of the crowd and actually have more to offer then being just popular. So I would not like to suggest comics I consider as rather commercial mainstream-productions (Marvel & Disney, Peanuts, Garfield, Haegar for example) although I know the borderline is really thin. I also know that Mainstream isn't just bad by definition, and some of the comics I would not like to put up here have really funny moments and/or very professional art.

Last edited by Uncle Greedy on Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:18 am; edited 13 times in total
ttallan
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Classics Illustrated series, and its younger sibling Classics Illustrated Jr., would be on my list of important works. Also Carl Barks' Uncle Scrooge.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttallan wrote:
The Classics Illustrated series, and its younger sibling Classics Illustrated Jr., would be on my list of important works. Also Carl Barks' Uncle Scrooge.

Sadly I don't own any of the Classic Illustrated Series, so that I can hardly judge them, although the approach to translate literal classics into comics is interesting in a time when comics were considered to be smut. I'll look if I find some online copies.

For Carl Barks, he is no doubt the best of the duckmen, but I am struggling a bit with it, because I think it is quite in the mainstream range. For the same reasons I am also a bit unsecure if to include Asterix (some great funny moments and some really intelligent puns) and TinTin (despite the high-quality of art, I could never really get into those). On the other hand, they certainly are classics and deserve to be considered as such.

And I think I should include Dick Tracy as well.
Uncle Greedy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have updated the list and added the names. Many famous artists worked in so many different prdocuctions and magazines, that it is difficult to keep track.

So I made a list of the really important comic artists, of course far from complete and open to suggestions meeting the criterias. Here it is:

Enki Bilal
Vaughn Bode
Claire Bretecher
Hogarth Burns
(Phillip C.) Caza
Richard Corben
Guido Crepax
Robert Crumb
Alain Dister
Steve Ditko
Phillip Druillet
Will Eisner
Lee Falk
Jean-Claude Forest
Hal Foster
Frank Frazetta
Jose Gonzales
Marcel Gotlib
Chester Gould
Johnny Graig
Rick Griffin
George Herriman
Burne Hogarth
Rand Holmes
Graham Ingels
Greg Irons
Jeff Jones
Jack Kirby
Ladislaus Kmoch
Winsor McKay
George Metzger
Moebius (Jean Giraud)
Clodwig Poth
Aley Raymond
Ted Richards
Trina Robbins
Spain Rodriguez
Fred Schrier
Manfred Schmidt
Gilbert Shelton
Jean Sole
Steve Stiles
Alain Voss
Al Williamson
Wally Wood

P.S.
And I don't even like all of them, but I appreciate their work.
Uncle Greedy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could have made an extra thread for this, but I think this fits in very well into the classic comic theme.
Here's a list of the most gorgeous female characters that appeared in the 20tieth century. Alphabetic Order.

Azura by Alex Raymond in Flash Gordon. Difficult to choose one of the many in Raymond's work, but Azura is one of the most outstanding queens opposing against Flash Gordon. All glamourous, beautiful and just in the right balance of evilness and tragic that you just have to love her. Anyway, the most spectacular cast for a female Flash Gordon character was Priscilla Lawson (a tragic fate) as Aura in the first 1930ies serial, sadly replaced by a (sorry) very dull actress in the 1940ies Mars-sequel.

Hazel the Witch by Burne Hogarth in Miracle Jones. She only appeared in a few stories, but it can't get much better then her.

Lily by Frank Frazetta. Speaking of beautiful women in Franzettas work, I don't know where to start or stop, because most of them are. I simply chose Lily because she looks like a mixture of Claudette Colbert and Betty Page.

Lola Pagola by Norman Prett in Jane at war. You will know that this was the british propaganda comic against germany and the axis. Strangeley, the villianess Lola, a beautiful evil spy, was presented much more attractive and glamourous then the heroine Jane, who looked quite pale against her opponent right from the start. Sadly Lola was arrested in 1941 and dissapeared from the comic, and never found a worthy successor.

Lucifera by Edoardo Morricone and others. As a secret agent of hell, she allows herself to be just evil for the sake of it. She is not a passive victim as some might think simply for being fumetti, but she just likes to go over the top. All in all, it is quite similar to a spaghetti-western; very violent, but always tongue-in-cheek.

Lulu by Trina Robbins appearing in Wimmen's Comix. The art isn't very exciting, but Lulu is a beautiful black girl working as glamourous drug dealer in the 1940ies. She has white and black lovers as she likes, and even infiltrates a secret occult Nazi group in world war 2 as involuntary undercover agent.

Narda by Lee Falk/ Phil Davis in Mandrake. Featuring a handsome, athletic magician in a tuxedo as title character, you needed quite a female lead to match him. Narda was.

Phoebe Zeitgeist by Frank Springer/ Michael O'Donoghoue. Much more glamourous and beautiful then her french prototype barbarella, she is one of the few heroines that actually got killed in her serial and stars as corpse for quite some pages until she is revived by a inuit shaman. As you can see from this, the comic itself contained a lot of dark humor trained by EC (Horror magazines and MAD) and creepy.

Sala by Lee Falk/ Ray Moore in Phantom. There are several notable female characters, but beautiful and glamourous Sala as the captain of an all female gang of air pirates is the most outstanding.

U89 by John Willie in Sweet Gwendoline. I don't give much for Gwendoline, as U89 was much more attractive and had a lot more personality then the title heroine herself. Actually, she added a lot more to the storyline, as far as you can speak of that in Willie's comic at all! (Surely, there was some, but it always looked a bit like an alibi to prepare a setting for the kinky scenes.)

Valentina by Guido Crepax. The artistic black and white drawings with some reference to Art Nouveau created a very avantgarde and bicarre atmosphere, making it less consumable then other Barbarella-inspired heroines.

Vampirella. She was drawn by by many artists, as she started her career as a moderator of short horror-stories in the style of the old EC-crew, but is mostly connected to Jose Gonzales. (Who is not her inventor, as many think.) She was the prototype of many imitations, but was never really matched. A lot of famous illustrators, including Enric, Corben and Frazetta, painted her as cover-art, and the merchandise and fan-base ist still going strong.

I am sure I have missed some. I know I did not include Barbarella, although the comic of Jean-Claude Forest belongs to the really important postwar works that inspired many others and created an own genre. Although I like the comic for it's easiness and some really funny moments and original ideas, I was never much impressed by the heroine herself. It's not just because she is based on a french actress I don't like, but even her first female opponent, the one-eyed queen, steals the show without much effort. Similar in the movie with the appearance of Anita Pallenberg as the queen's character, although she misses the eye-patch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: