TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2 Comics 1 Site
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Old Herb

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I also feel sub-domain would be in order. In the long run, it'll save much trouble for you and your readers.
microbrien

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Herb wrote:
Yup, I also feel sub-domain would be in order. In the long run, it'll save much trouble for you and your readers.

Yeah, that's what we do at cn-comics--buttons at the top of the page bring up the various projects. We've got 3 at the moment, actually. As long as each is separate and distinctly so, then you're fine.

I write at cn-comics.com!
sabrasmith11

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really different kind of question. I really feel that there must be any problem regarding comics. There must be proper clearance from comic & side holder also.
But now a days a trend build up regarding online magazines ....

microbrien

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sabrasmith11 wrote:
This is really different kind of question. I really feel that there must be any problem regarding comics. There must be proper clearance from comic & side holder also.
But now a days a trend build up regarding online magazines ....

I'm unsure where I stand on this. On the one hand, I like the idea that you put the comic right at the top of the page, before a title header even, as that's they money-maker.

On the other hand, giving it some decent padding and making sure the title is at the top so people know where the hell they are is a proven method, so I could go either way. Depends on the project, I suppose.

If your content is good enough, the web design/presentation is less critical to your success.

I write at cn-comics.com!
hipopotamo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I post my comic in English and Spanish, so I had this issue of publishing two separate comics, and on the same dates so chapters would not be a solution.

What I did was to set up the multi-site flag in Wordpress and then create two independent blogs with it.

Using multi-site you get a yourdomain/webcomic/comicName structure, but you can easily use subdomains for better looking sites. Even better, usually subdomains are free, at least that is the case with my ISP.

You can find the instructions for multi-site wordpress at Frumph's blog.

Cheers from the hippo

sailorptah

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try emulating the setup at Full Time Ink. It has three comics -- Uh-oh, it's a Dinosaur; Phil Likes Tacos; and 95 Gallons -- that overlap in some ways (the "archives by month" feature will get all three), but have separate navigation. Seems to be a feature of WebComic & InkBlot.

There's also the setup at Tailsteak.com, which I think was hand-coded by the siterunner. It has two sets of navigation, so you can pick out any independent sequence and browse just that, or read everything mixed together in the order individual strips were posted.

That said, my only firsthand experience is with putting different comics on separate subdomains, which is easy and works fine. And you can always advertise each on the other's site!
Justinfh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I can see how having multiple Webcomics with very similar styles can be confusing. For me, I love Websites with multiple Webcomics and Webtoons. Websites with multiple comics and toons gives such sites variety and keeps things fresh.

Besides, having multiple comics on one site gives the artist a chance to try something different.

Personally, I think having a sub-domain is a terrible idea. Let's face it, nobody likes sub-domains! Mainly because people are too lazy to type Secondarycomic.Maincomic.com as opposed to Maincomic.com.

Now, posted one Webcomic every Monday, or another every Thursday (or whatever days you choose) is a good idea.

On my website, however, I do things a bit different. I have a main comic, and my filler comics. I like to post filler comics in between "seasons" of my main comic.
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wild Horse wrote:
I think if I click "next comic" I'd want to see the next episode in the same comic, not swap to a different comic. Sub-domains gets my vote.

This. If multiple series appear in the same archive, jumping back and forth between the them it breaks the flow for people who are reading through the archive as opposed to catching an update at a a time. Add the possibility that readers may like one comic and find the other one entirely uninteresting and there goes a reader never to return.

My vote is solidly on having sub-domains if possible.

Blog
Justinfh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you feel that having multiple Web comics on one site is a bad idea, then just get a new domain. Sub-domains are a terrible, TERRIBLE idea!
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justinfh wrote:
If you feel that having multiple Web comics on one site is a bad idea, then just get a new domain. Sub-domains are a terrible, TERRIBLE idea!

How many people do you think type in your website's address in the first place? You should really take a look at your referral history, because I will guarantee that fewer than ten percent are direct connections. The rest come from somewhere else, either links or some sort of bookmark (I use the default IE favorites bar).

More to the point, even if one chooses to use a full domain registration, they're still likely to need a subdomain site, since I doubt that most people here can afford to maintain two website subscriptions (free hosting sites usually provide you with a subdomain of the main site (blah-blah.comicgenesis.com, yatta.drunkduck.com) but allow you to use your own naming server if you have your own domain name). Basically, what you're saying is if Barnes & Noble wants to sell books and CDs, they should open two completely separate stores.
Lavenderbard
^_^

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casual Notice wrote:
How many people do you think type in your website's address in the first place?

My website stats say that most of my visitors are direct connection, but I always figured that was because most of my visitors are actually bots.

I personally almost never type in a website address.

But apparently my husband and kids do, so I have no idea how the stats would break down on this one, once you've successfully eliminated the bots from the picture.
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that some of my direct connections aren't actually people typing in an address, but are people coming in from Twitter apps, chat rooms and the like. I have no idea what percentage though.

Blog
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or people usin' a bookmark, like CN said!
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That too.

Blog
Traegorn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, only about 10-20% of my traffic comes from a referring link. Most are direct connections.

Personally, I bookmark comics I read on my iPad -- but type them in on my laptop (autocomplete makes it so I only have to type a couple of characters)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: