TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My RL Issues (try and beat this.....)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
raines80

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: My RL Issues (try and beat this.....) Reply with quote

Interesting section of the forums.

Here are my main distractions... in order.

1. I am a stay at home dad: When I do get to work on my comic it is when my 1 year old son is asleep. This can last anywhere from 1 1/2 hours to 30 minutes. He usually falls asleep twice during the day (usually). So that adds up on average of about, maybe, 2 hours a day I get to myself.

2. I am married: So... my wife comes home and wants to talk about her day.. 1 hour gone. She than wants to enjoy my company.... 2 hours gone. Than she wants me (even though I have done it 5 times that day already) to change the poopy diaper... (you wouldn't think it... but).... 1 hour gone. By the time I get them both to sleep I have about 1 hour to myself.

3. FPS Games (Skyrim thrown into the mix): Yes, I am a 31 year old gamer. I love my FPS games. I think it has something to do with my military background. Anyways, in the above mentioned Real Life side trackers FPS games get in the way as well. Sometimes I just need to jump on BFBC2 and lay these shot gun wielding noobs on their asses with my UMP to let out some anger.

All in all.... I can't believe I am actually hitting the 3 comics a week deadline I have set for myself...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not at all trying to compete, just stating my situation as it is currently like you. I want to stress that I'm not doing anything but stating what's going on here and figured starting it's own tread would be ...hm, just depressing. Your situation is tough but, I'm going to assume that's really what comes with being a parent, I wouldn't know and never will but I will say that's unfortunate to hear all the same, I hope things get better for you.

I stay at home most(all) of the time to take care of my disabled mother who needs attention for panic attacks, to have food prepared for her, to make sure she doesn't injure herself. I basically go out when someone wants to grab food from somewhere or I'm needed to run a quick errand, even then I'm out no longer than an hour.

She once was a talented artist producing clay figurines by the dozens selling more than she could make, she also painted and took care of a lot of things in the house. Around 2007 we noticed her work looking odd randomly, 1 or 2 figures just looking ...off. She started to have trouble understanding how the lines in the street work. Years later we find out she has a rare form of aspasia (a rare thing to begin with).

Now she's barely capable of speaking, cannot recognize herself in the mirror (sees someone else and talks to said person), has trouble with many other things and basically it's only going to get worse. She wanders the halls at 4am sometimes confused where she is and often says she wants to go home, when she is. She asks about her parents who died, one of alzhimers (her father died of this, which makes this situation all the more difficult).

So I stay at home, take care of her, try and run a business my brother wanted to start up with me, I also clean the house and am in the process of looking for a job that can fit these hours, oh and my webcomic on the side. I would say what I do is hard but I imagine my mother who still has her mind about has it worse, unable to communicate, bouts of confusion, helplessness. All I can do is try and be there for her and make her happy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only issue right now is pretty big: Real estate dispute with relative. Hopefully it will be resolved next week. If it isn't, it's lawsuit time.
Gooberandcindy.com

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: My RL Issues (try and beat this.....) Reply with quote

raines80 wrote:

All in all.... I can't believe I am actually hitting the 3 comics a week deadline I have set for myself...

I can't believe it either.

Shocked

http://www.gooberandcindy.com
Old Herb

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never understood how some people can churn out a comic each week, let alone two or three times a week, and have an active life they live on the side and top of all that, as well.

Me, I barely manage my 'twice a month' updates, and generally even dealt away with coloring, since that takes too long to make it look good. Laughing

So, my hat off to you, sir.
Bad Example

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP - I think I can try and beat you. Here's my list:

1) I work as an IT manager at one of my countrys largest banks - that's 9 hours gone from each day (10 and a half if you count driving to and from work).

2) I'm studying for a degree (psychology, a total change of direction - tired of computers) - so that's a couple more hours a day gone for studying.

3) I have a dog, two cats and a rabbit - and they all need to be hugged! Unlimited cuteness time per day added.

4) I have a girlfriend - she needs some me time (I need to talk to her, and explain her why I hug the kittens more than her. That's atleast an hour long conversation!). Not to mention she wants me to do the dishes and take out the trash... Sad

5) I train in martial arts twice per week + I need to stay in shape, so in theory I should be doing daily workouts for atleast 40 minutes each (no, I don't do it. Don't have the time)

6) Computer games - yes, I'm a gamer. No, I don't have time for games. Yes, I play anyhow.

7) Web comic - because of all the many reasons above, I've not had any time for my webcomic, which requires daily attention (like drawing and coloring and telling it how pretty it is). I'm coming back though! Smile

So here's me

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez. Some of you guys have it pretty bad. I'm on disability, so I consider comic stuff and promotion to be a full-time job right now. (I also go to school part-time.)

If I can make a suggestion to the OP - have you considered decreasing your updates? Maybe down to two a week? I used to think that updating multiple times a week was the way to go, but now that I've decreased it to once a week I'm not really seeing a big difference in readership. I sometimes do bonus pages in between, but not always. Maybe you can going down to two updates/week for a little bit and see if it works for ya.

In any case - props for being a stay at home dad! I'm sure your wife appreciates you. Smile

zeeshan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She once was a talented artist producing clay figurines by the dozens selling more than she could make, she also painted and took care of a lot of things in the house. Around 2007 we noticed her work looking odd randomly, 1 or 2 figures just looking ...off. She started to have trouble understanding how the lines in the street work.
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless she's in her sixties (or older) that kind of sounds like the onset of one or more of the chemically-derived dementias (possibly Mercury or Lead poisoning).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomics and Real Life All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: