TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for artist: opportunities for cute monsters, shadows

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremy the Dog

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Looking for artist: opportunities for cute monsters, shadows Reply with quote

Hi! My name is Jeremy Sawatsky: parent/cartoonist/louse and creator of Purple Soul: dogfoodcomics.blogspot.ca. This is my first post on TWCL, I joined specifically to look for an artist for my comic, $5 Vampires.

$5V is a slightly dark all-ages comic about an outsider kid and his investigations into the ghost and monster sightings in his neighbourhood. There's monsters, ghosts, ninjas, superheroes, bullies, and Irish 'fros. Format is open, I like strips and pages. Stories will be from 1 to 12 pages with an ongoing plot. I rather like black & white, but I have nothing against colour.

I used write AND draw $5V, but I quit working on it to pursue Purple Soul. I just don't have the time to draw two comics. You can read the archive here: five-bucks.net

I'm looking for an artist who likes Bone, Hellboy, and Peanuts. I will also accept cute and adorable. Bonus points if you live in Canada. Super bonus points if you live in BC, Washington or Oregon.

This is NOT a paid job. I'll take care of hosting.

Last edited by Jeremy the Dog on Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fenmere

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the first collaborative project I've seen that intrigues me! Even if it turns out I can't help you out (though I'll look into it and show you my work), I may be able to connect you with some local(ish)s (in Bellingham, WA) who might be a good fit.

Here's my portfolio of better comics and monstrous illustrations:
The Fendrawings

The Dragon & the Radical

Par For The Core

Harmless Free Radicals

BTW: I love your art, and... Heck, I'll just have to draw you a panel! I'll get back to you.
Jeremy the Dog

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fenmere: I would love to see a panel!
Fenmere

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to have to put it on my to-do list for Monday, but it should be a great exercise to start the day off! It'll be pure fan art, as best in the style of your work as I can muster.
Fenmere

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, here you go!

What kind of update schedule are you looking for? Are you planning on keeping the same format here, or would you like to take it in a different direction?

My thinking, if I take this up and you want to pick up where you left off, is to replicate your art style faithfully to complete the first story, throwing in maybe one or two tricks of my own for only the climax of the story. Then, with each successive story, embellish on it, keeping the same style as the soul of the artwork but seeing how far we can stretch it dynamically and in perspective.

The art is a bit flat for my own tastes, though I love it. But that's a good shift in gears for me. And it would be really cool to try to keep it recognizably the same style but give it more depth and rare but important bits of unexpected detail.

Also, I can't afford to get too crazy with it, as I do have to save time for my own work.

Thanks for the opportunity to draw this panel! It was a blast!
jeremythedog

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, sorry for the radio silence. I've been trying to get some new things ready for a con at the end of the month and it hasn't been going easily.

That panel is wicked! It's almost unsettling to see someone else render my artwork so well... Still, good stuff. Did you wanna send me an e-mail/Facebook/what-have-you to converse about this some more? What are your expectations?
Fenmere

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure!

I should warn you that I'm right in the middle of setting up the next stages in my career (job hunting), and I may end up taking on a job that will dramatically reduce my comic creating time. But, if I don't take that job, and instead one of the other ones, I'll have a fair amount of energy to put into this. This panel was quite fun to draw!

We should continue via email or facebook messages. I'm pretty busy today, so a chat will be difficult to fit in right now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The Dogpile All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum