TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what do you think about video trailers for webcomics?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lo (Aquapunk)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never watched a single one, nor am I interested in doing so for any comic. It's almost defeatist in a way, as though the author knows that the comic medium isn't considered a legitimate art form in its own right, and the way to fix that is to prove that is has the potential to be translated into animation, which is legit.

It's just part of this general feeling I get that no story is truly "successful"unless it's been made into a movie or TV show, as though they're the epitome of storytelling.

Meh, not interested.
Lavenderbard
^_^

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aquapunk wrote:
I've never watched a single one, nor am I interested in doing so for any comic. It's almost defeatist in a way, as though the author knows that the comic medium isn't considered a legitimate art form in its own right, and the way to fix that is to prove that is has the potential to be translated into animation, which is legit.

I have watched some because they were linked to here, and hey, if I offer feedback, people will hate me, but at least I did a good deed... um... maybe? I don't think I've ever watched one because I was curious about a comic and wanted to know more. If I was curious, I would just go read the comic.

I'm very, very dubious about the advertising potential of a comic trailer. But I'm just as dubious about the claim that people make them because they are trying to 'legitimatize' their stories. I suspect most of them do it because it looks like a fun challenge.

I might end up making one myself, someday, for that precise reason. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just downloaded the beta version of Motion Artist to play with excactly this kind of thing. More as a fun exercise than for actual viral attention or self-legitimization. (How would that help, anyway? I don't see it.)

So far, videos have almost always failed to get me interested in anything that is not a video. (I hate when a software tutorial section contains of nothing but videos.) One exception that comes to mind was J.C. Hutchins' trailer for Personal Effects: Dark Art, but that one was exceptionally well-made.

Usually, some art samples and a good tagline will be enough to prompt me into checking a comic. It helps if there's a direct link, too, which is problematic within a video - you'll have to put it in the accompanying text somewhere.

If I have to stop the music I'm usually playing while I'm online, then click a video or maybe reload the page first because Noscript has blocked it, then start the video - well, that's susally too much of a hassle, just to watch an ad.

That said, I've been thinking about making a book trailer for the new Conny Van Ehlsing book just for the sake of it - if I can find the time to do it. Not for the webomic - I don't really see that coming together. But that may be just me.

As for the two I've seen in this thread that actually qualify as trailers (and I'm not fuzzy about offering feedback) - After the Dream had some nice pacing but overstayed its welcome by about 2 out of 3 minutes. Meadowhell had the already mentioned flaw that the comics pages were unreadably small, as well as some too-nervous blending. I do like the contrast with the shopping mall photos, though. But this is another one that had me at the tagline. That would have worked in any other medium, too.

Webcomics - Blog - Twitter
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I actually made trailers for my individual episodes back in the day. Since people are sharing I might as well throw in my trailer for the last episode I animated:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUwYNHQP3oc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharing is nice... The link between moving image and comics is sometimes not our choice, my comic Football Crazy got reviews that compared it with tv shows...

“He's crafted a story that feels like an episode of television crime drama. It read and felt very much like an episode of BBC's Luther, the acclaimed detective drama.” Omnicomics USA
"It has the feel of a Detective program such as Inspector Morse, or A Touch of Frost." Rottingzombie UK
"Playing out much like a high quality, British detective drama you might see on TV." HorrorCultFilm UK

These aren't my words, you can check out Football Crazy reviews at http://www.cdgraphicnovels.blogspot.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: