TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

writer looking for an artist (free)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TWCL Forum Index -> The Dogpile
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingeckincat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: writer looking for an artist (free) Reply with quote

hello im thomas,

im new to this whole thing and havent writen much but i have 5 ideas one of which i would like to see developed into a webcomic

the overal design and artstyle doesnt really matter too me but id like it in colour i do have some character specifics that can be descussed

i would like to have an artist who doesnt mind sharing ideas as i would like to use ideas from the both of us to make the comic better as a team

now for the five comic ideas i guess
Quote:
1: this story is about a dystopian future in which humans and robotic humanoids by the name of "customs" which inhabit small villages that are terorized by shadowy creatures known as anomalies that have uncany and unique abilities but life chnges when a young fighter reveals that he is whats known as the "server" a legendary mixture of human and "custom" going by the name "bolt" little does everyone know he has a dark secret that flows in his blood

2: an average life for a young student as the woorld is watched over by a guild of creatures one day this specific student (unnamed as of yet) gets transported to thier base inside the sun (whereas the earth is relatively hot on the inside and mostly cold on the outside i the sun could be cold inside) the guild then tells him about a menace coming to earth they are sending to test the earths defences and that they are giving the kid the key to the only way they can stop the evil which is a huge robot know only as "27" a war breaks out between the two forces and allies and enemies are gained

3: the story of a pure warrior who must defeat 7 evil warlords based on the seven deadly sins each in thier own dimensions but as he kills each one memories come back to him as he slowly grows less and less pure he finaly learns that it was his destiny to replace the warlords and rule the land until he must revive them because a group of three teenagers each with magical unique weapons try to defeat him

4: the story of new camelot in the year z-100 in which the knights don mechanical armour and fight with phasor blades jousting on hover bikes done up to look like horses its a take of two kingdoms fighting in a strugle until a group of knights come from neither side to stop the war by killing both kings who have been curupted by power

5: a guy who while out in a park finds a strange device/box that when opened gives him the powers of all the different animal species (bird, cat/lion/wolf/dog, reptile, marine life, insectoids which he can only use 2 at a time making for some interesting combinations some evenmore powerfull than he could believe e.g, eagle + salamander = dragon powers) and he must battle the 215 lords of underworld each stronger and more terifying than the last(seems like alot but some he will fight like 7 at once)

i feel like i can offer something new to webcomics with my twisting and turning plot ideas i have built up in my head
Chilari
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get an artist, you need to demonstrate that you are a writer worth working with. It is easy to claim to be a writer, harder to show that you're a good one - harder, in fact, to tell for yourself if you're good than it is for an artist to know if they are any good.

At the moment, you've not demonstrated that you're a good writer. Sorry, but that is just the case. You've not used a single capital letter in the whole post; your spelling and grammar, though certainly not nearly as bad as I have seen, leave something to be desired; and much of the post lacks punctuation.

If you want to demonstrate your skill as a writer, there are several things you could do:

1. Post a link to a comic you've already worked on. This not only demonstrates your writing ability, but also demonstrates that you have an existing audience, meaning the comic you want to start will begin with an initial audience predisposed in your favour. Of course, many writers looking for artists don't have that already.

2. Post a section of your script. A page or two of script should suffice. This shows the potential artist reading your post that you know how to write scripts, and allows them to judge for themselves not only your ability, but also whether they could work with you - some artists prefer to have detailed descriptions of what they are to draw, while others prefer to have greater creative freedom, and draw the action under their own initiative. So the amount of detail you go into in the script will let potential artists know if your approaches work well together.

3. Post a link to something else you have written, such as a short story or fanfiction, poetry, or an article. This will let the artist know if you can handle things like pacing, character development, sentence structure, etc. It's not as good as having some script to show them, but it will do something to demonstrate your ability as a writer.

4. Proof-read and check your post asking for an artist. By ensuring your post is properly punctuated, with correct spelling and grammar, you demonstrate that you know the rules of English and are capable of using it competently.

5. Develop your ideas in greater depth, and perhaps post fewer of them. What you've demonstrated so far is that you have some ideas, but when you've not even got a name for the main character, that doesn't say much about how well developed they are. An artist doesn't want to say they'll draw something, only to find there's nothing to draw yet. Plot out the story. Work out the characters. Write the first few pages of the script. Then, when you start communicating with the artist in private, over email or whatever, you can show them again why you're worth working with. Have enough of the story prepared that you can demonstrate your passion for it and inspire passion in the artist. Having the plot worked out in full, even if not in much detail, also allows the artist to see the end point, the desired destination, and gives them something to work towards, and an understanding of what you're trying to achieve.

I'll be honest. I don't think you'll find an artist from this post. But if you go and spend some time working through these issues, and then come back in a month or two or even six, having developed your ideas and improved the technical aspects of your writing, I think you will find it much easier to find an artist.

Good luck.
Bjork

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aw give him a break chilairi its just some kid trying to have some fun
kingeckincat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you im sorry about the bad grammer and punctuation in my post, but as ive said im not used to writing im really new to this but i have some great ideas.

In the time i have had too look over my post i have decided to merge these together into one idea as i feel it would be too much hastle for someone too have too choose

As for a comic i've worked on before? Only one springs to mind but i only made three pages of it and never continued with it. Its a sprite comic but i asked a friend of mine to redo the art for page one.
here is a link: http://tfdarknessonslaught.deviantart.com/

I will also upload panel by panel scripts of each page to a website which i shall use as a way to back up the scripts
Here: http://kecomics.webs.com/
Spencey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bjork wrote:
aw give him a break chilairi its just some kid trying to have some fun

Chilari wasn't giving the original poster a hard time. She was providing good, constructive, advice.

If kingeckincat really wants to find an artist, the steps Chilari suggested are the best way of achieving this goal. Chilari is quite correct that it is very unlikely from his initial post he would find an artist, as the demand for free artists is higher than the availability. However, if he follows the advice she kindly offered he will inevitably have a much better proposal and at least stand a chance of interesting an artist.

Good luck with your project, kingeckincat.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Bjork should be banned.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TWCL Forum Index -> The Dogpile All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum