TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Booth Babe" Jennifer Nigri Asked to leave PAXEast

View previous topic :: View next topic  
microbrien

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: "Booth Babe" Jennifer Nigri Asked to leave PAXEast Reply with quote

Assuming you've all heard about this, what are your thoughts?

Personally, I'm pretty livid.

Yes, she was wearing a revealing costume. Yes she's an attractive female attending the convention as a member of a "booth."

However, she's also a well-known cosplayer, extremely knowledgable about the game she is promoting (and video games in general), and she is integral to that video game's image and promotion.

Moreover, she was dressed EXACTLY like the cahracter in the game. It wasn't as if she was just some unrelated female dressed sexy to attract attention. It's not as if she were hired by Nintendo to be a "Sexy Princess Peach" in a pink bikini just so men would want to go there and take a picture.

There's a larger discussion to be had about American treatment of the human body and the consistent oppression of women through body/slut shaming, but I'm more concerned with PAX's handling of this situation.

Apparently, they were perfectly happy to allow her to be there until they recieved complaints. So, apparently their "strict no booth babe policy" isn't all that strict. It calls into question what qualifies one as a booth babe.

Is it only after they've been complained about? What if I had complained that the hunks in armor over at the Colonial Marines game were making me feel feminine and emasculated and my girlfriend was giving them the "DO WANT" eye all weekend? Would they have been asked to leave as well? Or what about that one male attendee, shirtless, with suspenders and (very) short shorts wearing stickers over his nipples? Doubtful.

And I wouldn't anyway. I'm not so ego-centric and self-entitled that I'd project my every insecurity on those around me, then justify it by calling that which makes me uncomfortable "offensive" and complain about it to have it removed.

I find it absurd that this model--who was doing her job, doing it well, and keeping to her small, confined space in one corner of the con--was asked to leave, while there were easily "just for show" girls at other booths, monitors everywhere displayed graphically violent images, banners sported sexy/scantilly clad women of all kinds, and countless convention attendees were dressed as revealing or more revealing than Ms. Nigri (including one girl in the same, exact outfit as Jennifer, and multiple males cosplaying as females in similarly revealing costumes).

I am upset for many reasons, but most of all, I'm upset about the inconsistency and--on a more serious note--until we stop attacking women for being comfortable dressing sexy (or in revealing clothing), there will never truly be gender equality, and we'll continue to victim blame rape survivors and slut shame intelligent, sexually empowered women.

I write [citation needed] and more at cn-comics.com
rylearron

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a communications SNAFU. I'm aware of PAX's no booth babe clause and why they implement one, but it seems that Jennifer Nigri's costume was a known part of the booth during the application process, and it was okayed by whomever before the show, but during the show certain information wasn't know to all the staffers. Still, being asked to leave is kind of harsh, seeing as they could just ask her to change into something else. Still it seems like a situation that could have been avoided entirely.
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Apparently, they were perfectly happy to allow her to be there until they recieved complaints.

It probably has more to do with the fact that there's precious little security at the staff entrance to most conventions, so the security staff wasn't even aware of the dresstape-magic suit until they received complaints (probably from other exhibitors that had complied with the no-BB rule).
Clint Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casual Notice wrote:
It probably has more to do with the fact that there's precious little security at the staff entrance to most conventions

Not only that, but most of the time it's security personnel for whatever convention center is hosting the event, not actual event staff. The first day at WonderCon there was apparently a lot of convention security in hot water because they were letting anyone with a badge on the floor before opening, without checking to see if it was an exhibitor badge. A "no booth babe" policy, assuming it was communicated at all by PAX, would probably have a lot of these people asking "What's a booth babe?"

So the simple answer is "scantily clad pretty girl working at a booth", and then there we are. She comes in the door and she's not necessarily going to be working, maybe just helping set up. Not to mention it's Boston in March so I'm guessing she had a coat thrown on.

Anyhow, yeah, I doubt it's so much an issue of her being scantily clad, as her being paid by the booth in question to hang around scantily clad, regardless of her geek or cosplay cred or if she's portraying a character.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casual Notice wrote:
Quote:
Apparently, they were perfectly happy to allow her to be there until they recieved complaints.

It probably has more to do with the fact that there's precious little security at the staff entrance to most conventions, so the security staff wasn't even aware of the dresstape-magic suit until they received complaints (probably from other exhibitors that had complied with the no-BB rule).

They are short on security, but at PAX it isn't security's job to enforce convention-specific rules. At PAX they have "enforcers," a massive team of volunteers who handle that sort of thing.

Those enforcers are trained on convention regulations and they we well aware of her presence and appearance the entire time.

This is why I'm so bothered. Also, according to what I read, the complaints came from convention attendees, not other booths and apparently (according to a source close to them, though I cannot confirm this) Gabe/Tycho made the call to ask her to change/leave.
dpat57
Ich bin ein webcomicker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Links (with pics, maybe NSFW):

Twitter:
[url]https://twitter.com/#!/OJessicaNigri/status/188986181235642369/photo/1][/url]
...nope can't seem to make this selectable, could be the odd characters... Oh it's in the article below anyway, shrug.

Skimpy Outfit Gets Lollipop Chainsaw Cosplayer Asked To Leave PAX

...which has another link at the bottom, Two Fun People Were Asked to Leave PAX East
Grand prize winner!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That definitely qualifies as a skimpy outfit... and I wonder how it stays on?
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpat57 wrote:
Links (with pics, maybe NSFW):

Twitter:
[url]https://twitter.com/#!/OJessicaNigri/status/188986181235642369/photo/1][/url]
...nope can't seem to make this selectable, could be the odd characters... Oh it's in the article below anyway, shrug.

https://twitter.com/#!/OJessicaNigri/status/188986181235642369/photo/1

Here ya go. : )

Blog
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewomack wrote:
That definitely qualifies as a skimpy outfit... and I wonder how it stays on?

Dress tape and the broken dreams of nerds everywhere.
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw rats, at first I read this title as '"Booth Babe" Jennifer Nigri Asked *me* to leave PAXEast,' which sounded like it would have been an interesting story. :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smbhax.com wrote:
Aw rats, at first I read this title as '"Booth Babe" Jennifer Nigri Asked *me* to leave PAXEast,' which sounded like it would have been an interesting story. Very Happy

Haha yes

I write [citation needed] and more at cn-comics.com
rocketpig

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint Wolf wrote:
Casual Notice wrote:
It probably has more to do with the fact that there's precious little security at the staff entrance to most conventions

Not only that, but most of the time it's security personnel for whatever convention center is hosting the event, not actual event staff. The first day at WonderCon there was apparently a lot of convention security in hot water because they were letting anyone with a badge on the floor before opening, without checking to see if it was an exhibitor badge. A "no booth babe" policy, assuming it was communicated at all by PAX, would probably have a lot of these people asking "What's a booth babe?"

So the simple answer is "scantily clad pretty girl working at a booth", and then there we are. She comes in the door and she's not necessarily going to be working, maybe just helping set up. Not to mention it's Boston in March so I'm guessing she had a coat thrown on.

Anyhow, yeah, I doubt it's so much an issue of her being scantily clad, as her being paid by the booth in question to hang around scantily clad, regardless of her geek or cosplay cred or if she's portraying a character.

I second Clint. Communication mistakes happen. PAX, in their ever-lovin' progressive way, have banned booth babes (and I commend them for it). She was paid by the exhibitor to dress like, let's face it, a booth babe. The exhibitors know the rules. Unless they sent in images of the costume beforehand and cleared it with the organizers, they should have really known better and have no one to blame but themselves.
Level 1 threat

Location: Here and there...mostly there. Sometimes kinda in between.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
until we stop attacking women for being comfortable dressing sexy
Wait...so ogling women like sex toys is now supposed to empower them? If she's not welcome at PAX, Miss whats-her-name can come and be empowered at my place.

I suspect this is probably just a case of rules-inconsistently-applied. That happens from time to time. The booth owners pushed the envelope, and the hammer randomly fell on them. This was a high-profile incident because of how much skin everyone has in the game. Twisted Evil

As a general rule however, the fact that it's inconsistent lends credence to the fact that it isn't some social agenda. More likely, Ms. Nigri just stands out better in a crowd and she's the one someone decided to complain about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: