TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it fair to include violence to teddy bears in a comic?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sammysure

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Is it fair to include violence to teddy bears in a comic? Reply with quote

"Looking at this comic is like seeing my childhood brutally destroyed," said Percy Peters as he sipped his sweet lemon drink through a long straw.

True, the second panel of the two panelled comic strip depicts a scene of decapitation which jars against the peaceable cuteness of the first:

http://ladfish.staticloud.com/11.htm

But is it ok? And on a deeper level what are your views on courting controversy and being provocative to gain fame and notoriety?
MGS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a while I was involved in an organization that sent free comics to kids in exchange for a one-page letter.

This question reminds me of a drawing a kid included with his letter a few months back. In the picture, one teddy bear was wielding a katana and leaping at another teddy bear. The ninja-teddy was saying "Die huggabie!" to which the next one responded, "Hug Me!"

Perhaps you had to see the drawing to find it humorous.

At the very least, I think this kid's picture is justification enough for the stance that violence against teddy bears is OK.
iaviv

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@MGS - I find it funny without even seeing it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@iaiv - I second that emotion.

@Sammysure - My first profitable comic book (which I produced at age 15) was a gory current events satire starring carnivorous giant hares from Biloxi that often had sex with humans (mostly celebrities and politicians) prior to eating them. I had $15,000 in my savings account by the time I graduated from high school and much of my college education was paid for by art scholarships, as a result of me producing a horrible comic books that I was too young to legally purchase.

As you can image, I am highly in favor of courting controversy and being provocative to gain fame and notoriety. And yes, I am okay with violence against drawings of inanimate furry things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: