TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Artists:a powerful story needs an artist to bring it to life

View previous topic :: View next topic  
otterkit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Artists:a powerful story needs an artist to bring it to life Reply with quote

If you're an artist looking to work on a worthwhile project with good characters and a solid plot, I have one in the works. It's a long-term project, setting is mostly fantasy with a little taste of sci-fi, plot is character-driven and pretty interpersonal (though there will be action, have no fear). It revolves around themes of free will, social stereotyping, culture and cultural bias, and the importance of mythology in a group consciousness.
There's been a lot of world building going into this project, so you'll have the chance to bring a really believable world to life. It'll be a fairly serious comic, but with humor to spice it up and a lot of sympathetic characters. There will be some romance and some violence along the way, but nothing graphic.
I'd like to find someone interested in doing comics for a once-a-week update. If you like, I can act as the layout artist to take some of the burden off you. Whatever helps.
This is a pet project and I'm a recent college graduate, so there's no money in it, sorry. But if you're an artist looking for a fun and challenging project, this would be it!
If you're interested, drop me a line
otter_child@yahoo.com
Slaite!
Otter
Lavenderbard
^_^

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

otterkit, your entire description is made up of generalities rather than specifics. Generalities tend not to grab the imagination and draw people in.

Introduce us to some characters, and let us know the problems they are facing. Show us a bit of your world.

Here, I'll do an example.

First the way you did it:
This is a science fiction with a little bit of psionics mixed in story that has a solid plot. I've been working on this world for three years, and the characters have real depth and the futuristic tech has almost real science behind it. It's a fairly light-hearted story with lots of action, but no real graphic violence or sex or anything, and should work for family audiences... PG-13 at most.

Now the way it should be done:
Bambi is a genetic construct designed to look like a blond bimbo with purple eyes. Designing your children like that happens to be illegal and Bambi would love to pay her mother back for all the pain and botheration -- too bad her mother already got herself killed in a shoot-out with the police. Still Bambi's better off than any of the rest of the family, her sister Serena is eight feet tall (with chocolate colored skin) her brother Peluge is a blue ape, and poor Terence doesn't even have a body (but nobody can manipulate the internets like he can, it's almost like the network is an extension of... well, himself.)

The four of them work as private investigators, and they've just been asked to retrieve a mysterious alien gemstone from the sticky-fingered low-lifes who made off with it without asking nicely first. The catch? The thieves crash-landed on a world with primitive natives. Bringing technology in is forbidden, so the galactic government wants Bambi to do the job without any gadgets or advanced weaponry. The thieves, on the other hand, are known to be armed with plasma guns. Is Bambi crazy enough to take the assignment anyway? You bet she is!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies, I was intending not to bore folks just passing through with overwhelming and unessecary information, and catch the eyes of those who might have a taste for the sort of stuff we're up to. Thanks for the advice.

So, per your suggestion:

Baxt Parmeshengro has never spent more than two weeks in the same place. Like all her people, the Bothare, she is forever traveling the roads of Atla, forever set aside from other humans-- the gadje-- by her black hair, her yellow eyes set in a dark face, and her wary, secretive nature. The Bothare are the children of the Sun, born to walk wherever the Sun's rays fall. They answer to no authority but their own.
Many gadje mistrust these travelers. Some hate them. Many deride them, and Baxt bears the scars of gadje anger, as so many of her people do. To be Bothare is to trust other Bothare, and no others.
Baxt knows that fact as well as any. Only recently given the right to the name Parmeshengro, Keeper of Legends, she keeps alive of her people's past in stories, and worries for their future. But when she meets a young policeman in the great city of Viranus, all her assumptions and many of his will come into question. And when her people start turning up dead in Viranus, brutally butchered and strangely marked, it will take all their guile to solve the mystery of their deaths.

It comes off a little corny, but there you have it.
Lavenderbard
^_^

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

otterkit wrote:
My apologies, I was intending not to bore folks just passing through with overwhelming and unessecary information

I appreciate your desire to be concise, but trust me, your first post was waaaaaayyy more boring.

I wish you the best of luck in finding an artist that's interested and not already involved in a project. Unfortunately they are rare -- but you never know when they're going to turn up, so it's always worth a try. I have seen happy writer/artist pairings happen right here in this forum. Smile

If luck is not with you, and you can't find anyone, the usual advice around here, is to learn to do the art yourself. It's not as hard as most people seem to think it is. Just takes lots and lots and lots of practice, that's all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The Dogpile All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum