TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anti-adult ramblings
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
cobramcjingleballs



Joined: 09 Oct 2011
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Anti-adult ramblings Reply with quote

I post a comic. (http://yiffox.com/yiffadven/) It's a scifi, furry comedy that has a sexual element to it, but its not all about sex, making fun of scifi stuff as well. This is because the main character is a typical horny fox. However, there's very little sex depicted. So far the biggest sexual scenes are a facehugger going down his pants (wouldnt really consider that sex) and basically jumping on the back of a dalek and a borg.

Nothing graphic. No private parts showing and most actually sex takes place off-screen so to speak. I tried to keep it very PG-13/Two and a Half Men standard.

Yet when looking for advertising, there's this annoying thing in most TOS that they do not allow adult material. They also do not really define what they mean by "adult"....bad language could be considered adult by some.

So I applied to Project Wonderful and they really sucked. First off, they took 8-15 days to respond (when their website says the average is 4). Then they denied me the first time without saying why, just a form letter. Bad communications there. Then when I asked they said I didn't have enough content. I post daily and given their response time, I would have met that criteria by the time they got around to another look at my application (they didnt care)

Then when I did apply again, they claimed my comic had "pornography, nudity or explicit descriptions of sex acts" none of which is contains, the worst "sexual" act so far was, as said, a facehugger down the pants, which knocked the character out and it was all contained in his pants, so you didnt even see anything other than him falling over.

Yet this same company allows the Concessions comic to host their advertising (which is why I applied with them to begin with) which is KNOWN for having explicit sex and violence in its storyline. :shocked:

So two things!

1. Does anyone know of any advertising hosting places that allow mildly adult content and isnt tied to sex/porn advertising?

2. Anyone sick of these places being so vaguely anti-adult that you can't even mention sex? (or even joke about it? geez)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
cobramcjingleballs



Joined: 09 Oct 2011
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LukeSurl wrote:
I'm not a parent, but if I was I'd imagine that I wouldn't want my children reading stuff about furries - especially not one who, according to your bio page:

Quote:
...earned the name “the Oncoming Buggery” for his habit of raping the war machines.


As such, I think the "adult" tag, although you're certainly on the mild end of the scale, is deserved. You can't really expect the people at PW to read the entire comic archive of every website that applies - they're going to need to make quick judgements and the word "furry" is going to raise such a flag. They also need to be cautious in their assessments as a "false positive" is going to be less damaging to their business as mistakenly allowing complaint-inducing content through the net.


LOL....Yeah, as I said, its PG-13, but by "adult" they mean showing graphic sex or pornography, which the comic does not contain.

Yes, they also can not look at an entire archive, but they do go over a good deal, as they supposedly took so long to decide because they were getting a second opinion.

I only tried Project-Not-so-Wondeful, because they do host concessions, which ended a year ago almost, and is widely KNOWN for having sexual content, as well as hosting some 30 other Furry comics.

Btw, the oncoming buggery is a dr who joke, and the things being raped were Daleks, which is kind of a joke in itself (since they dont really have rape-able parts and are kinda bad ass)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Traegorn



Joined: 16 Feb 2010
Posts: 157

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, your page count IS low with only 45 comics (and as you have no clear archive page, I had to fiddle with URLs to figure that out) and you do have a like to something called "The sex pit" on the thing... If I were doing a quick review, I'd flag that.

The PW reviewers are going to pretty much assume that everything on a domain like that is what you're showing the ads against... So yeah...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
cobramcjingleballs



Joined: 09 Oct 2011
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traegorn wrote:
Well, your page count IS low with only 45 comics (and as you have no clear archive page, I had to fiddle with URLs to figure that out) and you do have a like to something called "The sex pit" on the thing... If I were doing a quick review, I'd flag that.

The PW reviewers are going to pretty much assume that everything on a domain like that is what you're showing the ads against... So yeah...


links to my other comics were added, AFTER they turned me down. Originally sex pit had no link when the decision was made....after I decided wtf...if I'm going to be branded as "pornographic" for mentioning but not showing sex, not gonna hide the comics that actually show it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
cobramcjingleballs



Joined: 09 Oct 2011
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd say your biggest problem is your website address. That's what they'll look at first ... and it has the word 'yiff' in it. Twice.


well its the name of the main character....and yes the comic contains a horny fox, but its about the trouble it gets him into, not sex. In the 89 strips now done, he's had sex 5 times....once offscreen, 1 was a facehugger rape (nothing shown), and the other 3 with no genitalia showing (one was a dalek (imagine giant pepper shaker) amounting to the fox jumping on it from behind)

so its very very PG-13, yet this site DOES allow Concessions and others that show graphic depictions of sex and nudity as well as other sites like this: (NSFW) https://www.projectwonderful.com/browse.php?advertisehere=1&adboxid=4010 They have the word ADULT in their very title
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jardel



Joined: 17 Jun 2005
Posts: 822
Location: In the darkness

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inkdolls wrote:
The reason some comics with graphic sex (Оglаf, Mооn over Junе, Сurvy) can still run ads on PW is because they are grandfathered sites.

PW wrote:
The original plan had been to remove ALL sites with adult content...

...After a lot of discussion, it was finally decided to grandfather in those original adult comics up to the time the new policy was introduced.

It's also worth noting that Oglaf have an agreement where they don't put PW ads on their explicit strips. So even being grandfathered doesn't give them complete immunity to the rules, it just means they showed themselves to be worthy of some exception.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MGS



Joined: 23 Sep 2011
Posts: 82

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this problem all the time, though I anticipated it when I started.

My comic is Boobs and Dicks: The Comic. It's considered adult because it depicts a bunch of cartoon boobs and dicks doing a bunch of boobish and dickish shit, but there's no sex, and the cartoon boobs and dicks (poorly drawn, I might add, since I have no artistic skills and am more of a writer). Rather than a bunch of boob and dick sexual jokes, it's more of a social commentary comic: they drink, they litter, they smoke, the text while driving, etc.

What pisses me off is how difficult it is to classify it. When people see "Adult" comic, they mostly think of crude, lewd sexual acts, which is not at all what my comic is about. It drives me nuts!

On a similar note, I recently forgot to mark a REDDIT link to Boob and Dicks as NSFW. However, even though the title was "Boobs and Dicks: The Comic" and the description noted that it depicted "A giant dick stroking it's ego," the Reddit users got all pissed off at me. I mean, if you're at work reading comics on Reddit and you click on Boobs and Dicks: The Comic, somehow I don't feel that it's my fault if you get into trouble.

It's the age of information and the internet is free for all, but, in the end, I get the feeling that we're more censored than ever! People can't visit sites or comment on shit others might find offensive or in poor taste because people's identities are now determined by their Facebook status updates. The result is that we're inundated with a bunch of trite, mediocre shit that's "safe" for general consumption.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
vaslittlecrow



Joined: 01 Aug 2005
Posts: 756

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cobramcjingleballs: I have had fairly explicit and foul-mouthed comics (not hardcore, no female genitals and no male organs in an aroused state) that have passed Project Wonderful muster that show full frontal male nudity. I wasn't grandfathered in, but I go out of my way to make sure most pages of my work have commentary, and the site and domains themselves completely de-emphasize the sexual aspect while focusing on the historical fiction/authenticity end of things.

Your domain name, unfortunately is a bit provocative, so that might be a huge issue. It's time to consider rebranding your work. For example when "Rasputin Barxotka" was called "Slave Butt for Satan," PW wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. But by renaming it and shifting the focus from eroticism to history, it helped a ton. "Artifice" (which is very R-rated) took a similar approach except with sci-fi as its focused rather than the very erotic story they have. Give it a try and let me know if it helps. Also, never forget the NSFW.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
vaslittlecrow



Joined: 01 Aug 2005
Posts: 756

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mooncity: Most adult sites are membership funded, so the business model is a lot different. The failure rate is insane.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
halflight



Joined: 19 Oct 2010
Posts: 38

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kind of contemplating this issue recently, since my comic, while not explicit, might have some nudity in it - in part because the culture I'm depicting doesn't have the same taboos as, say, America. But I also want my comic to be accessible to anyone who wants to read it. Blah.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
raines80



Joined: 10 Jul 2011
Posts: 162

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sick of the crappy censorship of the web. My webcomic does have some cursing and it covers topics that most companies try to avoid, but I haven't come anywhere close to touching on things that Tosh.O, Half of HBO and Showtime touch on... and yet they still get people to support their shows.

The censorship being displayed is terrible. I was rejected by gamestop to become an affiliate... they said my content was too Adult for the audience... The same day I got the rejection letter Gamestop had an add for Saints Row the Third up on their site.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!


Joined: 10 Apr 2009
Posts: 3011
Location: Seattle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That isn't even censorship--you can say what you like on your own site, but that doesn't mean other people have to endorse it by partnering with you.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
raines80



Joined: 10 Jul 2011
Posts: 162

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smbhax.com wrote:
That isn't even censorship--you can say what you like on your own site, but that doesn't mean other people have to endorse it by partnering with you.


I disagree.. it is hands down censorship by a company. It is also internet censorship.. the reason.. because it is everywhere on the internet... Just because my site doesn't sit well with the person who wrote your terms and conditions doesn't mean we can't be affiliated. I have been rejected by 25 different companies because they believe my site is too adult for the viewers.. we are talking game companies that sponsor games that are rated M. It is censorship at its finest...

If you only use the word in conjunction with your own site then you are lost.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

Hosted by Fluent
The Webcomics List is operated and owned by Ash Young. Syndicate the comic updates.