TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Posting Etiquette - Writer looking for artist

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chilari
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Posting Etiquette - Writer looking for artist Reply with quote

Ok, so since quite a lot of writers who are looking for artists post here on TWCL forums, and many of them omit certain imformation that would help them getting an artist, I figured that rather than evaluate every single one I might as well start a thread that gives pointers.

Admins, if you think this is useful, please sticky it so potential writers can see it before they post.

*cracks knuckles*

Right then, writer. You want an artist. You've come to TWCL forums to find one. Here's how you can increase your chances of getting one. So let's have a look through what you need to include.

Firstly, you might want to introduce yourself if you've never posted here before. You don't have to, but it might be nice. Just a sentence will do. "Hello, I'm John Smith."

Secondly, you want to tell us what your project is. What genre - sci-fi, workplace, horror? and what format - four-panel gag-a-day, ongoing indefinitely with short story arcs, longform with a definite finish, etc. Give us a brief overview of what it's about. To use a couple of examples that already exist and belong to forum members here, it could be a series of short arcs about a modern Canadian guy and his friends - a young woman and a llama - and his fat apartment manager, and the various hijinks they end up getting into, drawn in the four-panel strip layout in black and white lineart. (That's my good friend Jamie's 67th Avenue, go look) or it could be a story of magic in mystery set in an alternate London, in which all the characters are anthropomorphic animals, full pages drawn and coloured by hand in full beautiful colour (that's Darc's Code Name: Hunter, which is just incredible to look at and a good read.)

Anyway. You don't need to go into too much detail, if you want to protect your idea, but you need to include enough to intruige potential artists. A couple of descriptions of main characters, a brief idea of the plot, without giving away any twists, that sort of thing. You need to find a balance between capturing the imagination of the potential artist and keeping the storyline from others that'll read your post and may go on to read your comic.

Thirdly, hosting. The artist is going to be spending a lot of time and effort creating the pages. Depending on the project, the detail, the artist's style, they might be spending anything from two to twenty hours on each page. They don't want to have to deal with hosting too. Yes, I realise writing a script takes time as well, but not nearly as much (I produced five comic pages worth of very detailed script a few days ago, and it took me about two hours. The one page I've drawn from that script took me about 11 hours, and it only has one panel and no people, so a standerd mid-story page would probably take me closer to 15 hours to draw, ink and colour), and in any case by the time you're looking for an artist, you should have plenty of script for the artist to be getting on with. So it's up to you, the writer, to deal with hosting. By all means enlist the artist to help design the site, but hosting, coding the archive system and first/previous/next/last buttons are up to you. If you're no good at coding etc, find someone who is or ask for help from the forumites here or elsewhere.

Fourth, you want to show your writing is good and that you're worth the artist's time. So you want to give an example of your script, maybe the first page or two (comic-wise) of your script. To keep your post tidy, I recommend you either link to it or post it in a quote. It's the fourth button along at the top when you're writing a post, or you can type [ quote ] and [/ quote ] without the spaces. Like this:

I wrote:
This is a quote box.

In addition to that, you want to artist to see that there's nothing wrong with your spelling and grammar, so check your post before you click "submit" in case of typos or errors. If you generally have trouble with spelling and grammar, read "Eats, shoots and leaves" by Lynne Truss, and don't rely on Word Spellchecker, since it doesn't always pick up things like your and you're; their, there and they're; to, too and two; right, rite, wright and write. Among other things. If, in spite of finding difficulty with spelling and grammar, you still want to write, then good on you, but learn the rules and check your script or ask a friend to check it.

Fifth, you need to say what you can offer the artist. If you're skint and can't offer any money, fine, but don't expect a page a week at dead on five-thirty on Sunday. If you want pages produced that regularly, you're going to have to pay for their time. If you can't promise money, that's fine, most can't, but don't, please, say "It'll be so amazing awesome that we'll have a fanbase of fifty gazzillion before next Christmas and they'll all want to buy the book and various other merchandise and you can have 50% of the profits which will be 1million a year!!!" or something like that. Perhaps say, "Should the comic ever make any money, the artist will recieve 50% of all profits", but remember that qualifier, because chances are it's not going to make any money, not even on advertising, because you'll put what you gain through ads right back into the system to advertise your comic.

Having said that, if you have an existing comic with 8000 regular readers and you're going to mention the new comic on the existing comic's site, then say so. So maybe not all 8000 readers will come and look at your new comic, but there will be a few readers there initially. But don't make too big a thing of it. You should also link to that comic so people can see another example of your writing, if they want to.

Finally, you'll also need to say what you're looking for in an artist. Realistic style? Exagerrated style? Do you want colour or black and white? I'd suggest you say what you want but be flexible, for example, if I were looking for an artist for the comic I recent started scripting, I'd ask for a fairly realistic style, in colour. Since with that comic colour is quite an important theme in the story, that would be completely necessary, but I'd be pretty flexible with the style. I don't want it too comicy because the story is serious, but if there was a scale from 1 to 10, where 1 is very comicy and 10 is very realistic, almost photographic, anything from about 4 to 9 would be fine for it (as it is, I reckon I got it at 6 when I drew the first page).

Oh, and keep your post concise. That doesn't mean it should be too short, but include all the necessary information without repeating yourself or babbling. Treat it like a CV.

One final point: this forum consists of a variety of people who have had a lot of experience creating comics, writing comics or stories, drawing professionally or regularly as a hobby. Many threads seeking an artist will attract people who don't want to be an artist, but are interested in the project you're working on, who will read what you post and offer advice to help you get an artist if you're struggling to find one, even if you don't ask for advice. These people are posting with the best of intentions. Consider their advice, particularly if several posters suggest the same thing. Do not insult those offering advice. If you don't want advice, make that clear in your first post.

So there it is. Quite long, I realise, but I've seen a lot of "writer looking for artist" posts and these are the main things that should be included, in my opinion. I hope this helps writers out there. Good luck.

tl;dr: Introduce yourself, describe your project, give an example of your writing, tell the artist what you can offer, describe what artistic style you're looking for, and keep it clear and concise. Be polite. Don't be a dick.

Last edited by Chilari on Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:29 pm; edited 3 times in total
tbowl
Yarrrrr!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing! Perfect!!!! Very good job Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
Immer
Sliced Bread

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the fifth point: "because chances are it's not going to make any money, not even on advertising"

Besides that though, this post is essentially perfect. Thanks for writing this; it will help writers looking for artists tremendously. Very Happy
Kallisti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work. Of course, the counterpoint to this would be "Artist looking for writer", which I imagine would go something like:

Quote:
State that you are alive and have at least one working hand.

Wait.

Last edited by Kallisti on Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
AskMeAboutOrcs
Alley Oooooooop

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kallisti wrote:
Excellent work. Of course, the counterpoint to this would be "Writer looking for artist", which I imagine would go something like:

Quote:

Wait.

U messed up.
Kallisti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emurdaugh wrote:
Kallisti wrote:
Excellent work. Of course, the counterpoint to this would be "Writer looking for artist", which I imagine would go something like:

Quote:

Wait.

U messed up.

Oh, shush.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb. I might as well read that post thoroughly twice or even a thrid time. Props to Anezka (even though this post is, like, 2 months old) and Kallisti (who gave me the adress to the site) I just registered and i'm eager to show what i'm made of. See ya round.
Chilari
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added an extra paragraph about advice, to warn people about the tendency for forumites to offer advice.

Also I just realised how old this thread is. I wrote it before I changed my name to Chilari, for a start. And before Emurdaugh changed his name. I mean, wow, a year and nine months ago.
Kail

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Posting Etiquette - Writer looking for artist Reply with quote

Necroing this to address two things I've run into a lot lately:

First:
Chilari wrote:

You'll also need to say what you're looking for in an artist. Realistic style? Exagerrated style? Do you want colour or black and white?

One important piece of information a lot of people leave out when they're describing their comic is the schedule. How big are the pages, how many per week are you planning to update... in short, how much of a time commitment are you looking for? This is information I NEED before I can commit to a project. I have to know if I can make your schedule before I begin working on it.

If you know how long the comic will run for (I.E. is it a twenty page short story you want to do over the summer, a hundred page book that will take a few years, or a perpetual comic you plan to update until you get bored) that would also be handy.

Second:
Chilari wrote:

You need to say what you can offer the artist. If you're skint and can't offer any money, fine, but don't expect a page a week at dead on five-thirty on Sunday. If you want pages produced that regularly, you're going to have to pay for their time.

STRONGLY CONSIDER offering money, or some form of compensation, to the artist. It doesn't have to be $100 per page, $10 or so would probably do for amateur quality work. But the psychological difference between a paying job (even a low paying job) and a non-paying job is HUGE. By paying your artist you are establishing that:

A) You are serious about this project. The correlation I've seen between a writer who "is not willing to pay anything" and "is going to quit the project before you get the first page done" is nearly 1:1.

B) The proper relationship between writer and artist. The writer is the boss, the artist is the subordinate. The artist also does most of the work. This is not a naturally enjoyable position for most artists. By paying the artist for his work, you're showing that you respect their contribution and that they're working for something more tangible than a "good job" e-mail every so often. It also helps that you don't have to make the awkward "if this comic makes any money, I'll give you half" statement, which is honestly not a very good deal for the artist, even in the unlikely event that you are making a lot of money.

C) It gives them a reason to care about your project. I know that in your mind, your comic is awesome, but as a prospective artist, I can't see any of that. All I can see is the post you just made. It is the latest in a long string of very similar posts. You need to give artists a reason to care more about your neat comic idea than the neat comic idea posted right above or right below you. Offering money does this, assuming the others are not (and this is generally a safe assumption).
arkhein

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: wow... Reply with quote

...eye opener... cant speak... mind blown...

chris.
http://savyercity.wordpress.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The Dogpile All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum