TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mayweather vs. Ortiz

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LATComic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Mayweather vs. Ortiz Reply with quote

Anyone catch this? Thoughts?
The Putto

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about boxing, but watch it when I can.

My reaction to the knockout is that I have no sympathy for anyone who headbutts. It's the action of a scumbag. In my personal opinion once Ortiz threw his head all bets are off and the guy deserved whatever he got, however unfair some saw it.
LATComic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an amateur boxer, so I can kind of weigh in on the outcome. Ortiz headbutted Mayweather, and intentional or not, he loses a point in that round, and the referee breaks them up.

Here's where it gets tricky. In amateur boxing, when you get broken up, you don't throw a punch until the referee says 'box'. In professional boxing, it's as the saying goes 'Protect yourself at all times." The referee made it clear to the judges that Ortiz lost a point, lined them up, and Ortiz moved toward Floyd, to apologize again, and Floyd hit him with a 1-2.

Was it legal? 100%. Ask Joe Cortez, the presiding referee. Was it dirty? Extremely. But everyone overlooks the fact that Ortiz headbutted Mayweather, which is also extremely dirty fighting.

Add to that the fact that Cortez saw the right hand, saw Victor fall, but gave him a 10 count, not a standing 8. If it had been an illegal shot, it would have been a DQ for Mayweather, or Ortiz would have been given 8 more seconds to get to his feet.

With a record like Mayweathers (41-0 going into the fight), you wouldn't tarnish it with a DQ.

/novel
The Putto

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a bit of sparring training a few summers back and have a new appreciation for boxing. I do not have any cable TV so never really get to watch any.

All I know is from when I play sport, in my case rugby, if so one headbutts, spits, goes for the balls...they deserve whatever they get. Good to see your view as a boxer though.

I am occasionally watching classic boxing fights on youtube to learn more. Was thrilled to find this kind of thing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uIxmrXwVuk&feature=feedf
uncaringmachine

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mayweather is a dirty fighter, but he would have most likely won anyway. But he needs to stop ducking Pacquiao(spelled right?), and risk a loss. Who knows, he might win? Laughing

LATComic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mayweather has been caught fighting dirty, but apparently, he and Pacquiao are fighting in May 2012. On the spelling of Manny's last name, it's a crap shoot. I press buttons and hope for the best. That's what happens when you have four vowels in a row. I thought the fight was very entertaining, and I think Ortiz had Mayweather's number, he was going ape when he backed him up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: