TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Inaccurate visits/rankings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Site Problems / Broken Comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael66

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Inaccurate visits/rankings Reply with quote

I have noticed on TWCL that the "Views per month" is consistently LOWER than the actual visits. On my site I get 15,000 to 20,000 hits (new readers and repeats) and TWCL only shows 800. Ans as such, my ranking falls. If advertisers use TWCL as a determination for going with a web comic they will get false reports here. Is there a short code that should be added to a web site to insure an accurate count?
NekoMusume
Meow Meow Meow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Inaccurate visits/rankings Reply with quote

Michael66 wrote:
I have noticed on TWCL that the "Views per month" is consistently LOWER than the actual visits. On my site I get 15,000 to 20,000 hits (new readers and repeats) and TWCL only shows 800. Ans as such, my ranking falls. If advertisers use TWCL as a determination for going with a web comic they will get false reports here. Is there a short code that should be added to a web site to insure an accurate count?

That's a nice solid block you have there, it makes you sound like you are rambling a bit and you have a handful of spelling mistakes, it makes you look like a bot or pointless spammer but lets see.

Can you tell us where the figures you have are coming from and can you tell us what comic you are from?

If you can give us that, we might be able to unravel what it is that you are going on about.

As the vast majority of us here don't have access to the main site (or for that matter understand the mechanics of the site), can I suggest contacting Ash-at-thewebcomiclist.com. Please in future put this in the right place (Site Problems / Broken Comics).

Thanks

Jessica

My views are not representative of my clients,
Any community that I may be a member of or my employer
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually not complicated. TWCL uses links to the site through TWCL; if you expect that number to be anywhere close to your count from all referrers, then you are doomed to disappointment.
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Inaccurate visits/rankings Reply with quote

Michael66 wrote:

As far as I'm aware the monthly views in the listings do not relate to the actual total views a site gets but visits through the comic's listing.

If you look through the listings on the site you'll see that all of them show relatively low numbers. Any advertisers that looked at the listings would see the same thing.

Also, moving to the correct area of the forum.

Fake edit: ...and Casual Notice beat me to it with the explanation.

Blog
mikelacey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're also getting hits mixed up with page views. You get a hit for every object on a page, images, ads, etc, a page view is whenever someone loads a full page up.
apapgolf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikelacey wrote:
You're also getting hits mixed up with page views. You get a hit for every object on a page, images, ads, etc, a page view is whenever someone loads a full page up.

I hope you do, but you should also think carefully! You should carefully consider immediately!

Discount Golf
zeeshan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look through the listings on the site you'll see that all of them show relatively low numbers. Any advertisers that looked at the listings would see the same thing.

Last edited by zeeshan on Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would appear to be exactly what I said last year. O_o

Blog
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Site Problems / Broken Comics All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: