TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any reactions on the 2010 awards?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thirtyseven

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Any reactions on the 2010 awards? Reply with quote

I have noticed that Adam Huber of "Bug" wrote a blog entry about his victory for "best gag-a-day".

And I wrote messages linking to the awards on most of the facebook-fanpages of the comics who won or were nominated.

But were there any other reactions of some of the other nominees or winners (apart from myself telling my readers that I was nominated again)?

Psst... Did you visit the "Union of Heroes" today?
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been quite a few. I've got a Google Alert set up for the awards and have been checking google every now and then.

Cleopatra in Space has a blog entry about it. The same with Red's Planet.

The Daily Cartoonist did an announcement of the winners, which got a lot less comments than the one announcing the nominees, but that's probably a good thing.

The Webcomic Overlook also did an entry of course.

The Meek made a mention of being nominated.

There's a load more as well, but I'll post links to them later.

Blog
christinecccc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will check the blog entry of cleopatra
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novil wrote a blog entry announcing the winners.

Irma posted one about Imy's nomination.

The Beat ran an article announcing the winners, which links to the Robot 6 article.

There's been a load of talk on http://www.gamespite.net forums and the Penny Arcade forums, mostly negative.

Space Dock 7 ran a bit about Red's Planet and Cleopatra being nominated.

Zoe ran an announcement on Webcomic Builder

There's a brief article over at the Joe Shuster Awards site

More later...

Blog
zaymac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shouldn't be surprised (it is the internet after all, where everyone hates everything) but I am a bit at some of the heat I'm taking with others who are upset by the illustrated awards ceremony. I mean, Really?

I was under the impression when I created my awards presentation, it was meant to be entertaining and fun. I guess some others felt though that I was supposed to create something that showcased the greatness of all of the nominees. Shocked

I know all of the nominees are good, that's why they were nominated. Do I really need to turn the presentation into an episode of the Chris Farley show, and prattle on about how great the other webcomics are? Excuse me... I'm slipping into a coma just thinking about it.

The only criticism I'll accept is that I did make a grammatical error in the second panel of my presentation which I never caught. (That bugged me all night when I saw it Smile) But other than that, I guess I'll just have to wait until next year when my critics can enlighten me and show me how a presentation is supposed to be done. Razz
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaymac wrote:
I shouldn't be surprised (it is the internet after all, where everyone hates everything) but I am a bit at some of the heat I'm taking with others who are upset by the illustrated awards ceremony. I mean, Really?

I was under the impression when I created my awards presentation, it was meant to be entertaining and fun. I guess some others felt though that I was supposed to create something that showcased the greatness of all of the nominees. Shocked

The internet is full of snarky buggers who are more vocal when they don't like something than when they do. I know that's not the case with everyone who's unhappy with the way the awards have been handled, but I think with some of them it's the case.

Either way, we're never going to make everybody happy and it is supposed to be fun. That's the whole point of any awards ceremony isn't it? You can sum up the winners of any awards in a few minutes and that would do the job if communicating the results is all you want to do, but it's all about trying to entertain people and I personally think all the illustrators/writers this year did a really good job.

I still think yours is brilliant.

Blog
Luke

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't listen to any nay sayers.

Just let them know that they could come here and contribute to next year's awards if they think they could do better.

I enjoyed the ceremony. Very amusing.
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, the only negative bits about the presentation I saw was that discussion over at The Beat (which ironically enough included a negative comment by OP thirtyseven). But then, I couldn't find the thread at gamespite and never bother reading PA's forums (for all that Holkins and Krahulik seem to be nice guys, their forum-fans seem to be such monumental douches that they make the goons and Anonymous look like a Tea Social).

Were there any criticisms more valid than "We don't want no B-Listers (okay former D-lister, in my case) dirtying up our well-deserved adulation"?

EDIT: I take it back...one of the other webcomic blogs had comments that slammed the presentation. Mostly from William george and El Santos (who feature heavily in the negative aspects of the discussion at The Beat, above). I don't know who they are, should I care?

EDIT 2: I'm almost positive that the comic they were bitching about was my little bit of silliness. Enh...like I give a crap.
El Santo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Well, er... Reply with quote

Casual Notice wrote:

EDIT: I take it back...one of the other webcomic blogs had comments that slammed the presentation. Mostly from William george and El Santos (who feature heavily in the negative aspects of the discussion at The Beat, above). I don't know who they are, should I care?

Well... er... I was one of the judges. *scratches head*

But I'm not really as down on the presentation as some folks are. That's why I linked to the presentation rather than flat out out mentioning the winners. I know some folks had worked hard on putting that stuff together, so I wasn't going to shoot that all down with a short-cut. That said, I think that a live ceremony would be preferable, but I'm guessing that the logistics would be nightmare.

That said ... I'm pretty sure I wasn't being bitchy in The Beat. I was sorta playing along with Brigid Alverson's suggestion that there was a drunk afterparty somewhere.

EDIT: Wait a minute, you said The Beat, not Robot 6. I'm pretty sure I didn't post a comment at The Beat. Sorry about that.
thirtyseven

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casual Notice wrote:
So far, the only negative bits about the presentation I saw was that discussion over at The Beat (which ironically enough included a negative comment by OP thirtyseven).

Yeah, that's really ironically. Smile But take a closer look at my comment. It's only partly negative and still defends the awards ceremony as it is. I could have been much harder slamming the presentation(s) I did not like to pieces but I decided against it and instead promoted the awards ceremony everywhere else.

@wendyw: Thank you very much for this overlook!

Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
EDIT: Wait a minute, you said The Beat, not Robot 6. I'm pretty sure I didn't post a comment at The Beat. Sorry about that.

My bad, I confused William G.'s unending hatred on multiple sites with your more or less neutral responses on your own site (I think--Webcomic Overlook is your, right?) and got some things conflated. I apologize for the misunderstanding.
jaygee
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked this one. Smile

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2011/02/the-webcomic-list-awards-are-presented-in-a-webcomic/

thirtyseven wrote:
I could have been much harder slamming the presentation(s) I did not like to pieces...

Just out of curiosity: Your comic was nominated for an award. Your comic, like the others, was featured in a presentation. Somebody gave their time to produce these presentations. So, why would a nominee feel the urge to slam some of the presentations in the first place? Just because they weren't done by Frank Miller, J G Jones, Dave Gibbons or J H Williams III?
Resident Diet Lawyer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see an award ceremony by Frank Miller.

"Hello and welcome to the whorecomics list awhores!"

thirtyseven

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaygee wrote:
thirtyseven wrote:
I could have been much harder slamming the presentation(s) I did not like to pieces...

Just out of curiosity: Your comic was nominated for an award. Your comic, like the others, was featured in a presentation. Somebody gave their time to produce these presentations. So, why would a nominee feel the urge to slam some of the presentations in the first place? Just because they weren't done by Frank Miller, J G Jones, Dave Gibbons or J H Williams III?

First of: I will keep my focus on the presentation of the category my webcomic was nominated in: Best Non Traditional Art.

If Frank Miller, J G Jones, Dave Gibbons or J H Williams III would have produced such a presentation I would feel exactly the same way about it. I would even feel this way if Union of Heroes would not have been one of the nominated webcomics.

I was and I still am very happy and proud about this nomination. And I still hope that maybe one day I will not only be nominated but win this award, too.
In fact I was so happy about it, that I even posted on most of the facebook-fan pages of the other nominated comics to inform their fans and readers about the awards. Because I think that things like this help to establish the awards and it brings some more recognition to them. And I will continue to do this next year because I really like them.
I am also very thankful about the time and energy most of the people involved have put into this project and I hope that they will continue to do so.

Unfortunately giving time and producing something with good intentions and giving time and producing something good sometimes are two different things. The presentation for Best Non-Traditional Art is a an excellent example for this kind of thing taking place.

It doesn't matter who creates a presentation as long as the result is a piece of quality work so that the nominated comics are presented in a fitting way!

By my point of view this presentation did not fit at all. I am sorry to say it but the first time I saw this years presentation for "Best Non-Traditonal Art" my thought was: "Oh my, ".

It's poorly photographed with badly done word bubbles and unfunny jokes. (Sorry guys, but that's the way I see it.)

To keep it short: I did not like it, still don't like it and I probably will never do like it.

And I guess that I am not the only one having these resentments. I guess that many people start to read the presentation for Best Non Traditional Art don't like how it is done and skip to the next presentation without even looking at the results.

I think that I even have numbers which proof this:
Because of the presentation getting up a few days later than planned the first few days of this month there still was the list with all nominated comics on the main page of http://2010.thewebcomiclistawards.com/
During these few days (how many where it? Three? Four? I don't know it anymore.) I got 36 new visitors. Since the presentation went up? Only 29 more.

By my point of view because of the promotion for the awards ceremony (the blog entries of the winners and other blogs and websites talking about it, the posts on twitter, facebook etc.) it should be more, shouldn't it? Of course I know that the focus now is on the winners of the different categories and that they will probably get more recognition than the other nominated comics which did not win. And of course I also know that "Best Non-Traditional Art" is a kind of niche category like "Best Sound" at the Oscars not so many people are interested in.

But I still think that I personally would have been better of without Richard and Vasilios giving one or two hours of their time producing this presentation that looks like it was done in less than 30 minutes...

jaygee
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a nutshell: you (and others) feel that the quality of certain award ceremonies was in fact preventing the exposure/traffic/other benefits the respective winners (and nominees, like yourself) would have got if there hadn't been a ceremony. Thanks for clarifying.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> TWCL Awards All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum