TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Devil's Advocate on the Awards and a Proposal

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marooned

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Devil's Advocate on the Awards and a Proposal Reply with quote

I'm not sure how to say this without it looking like I'm trying to minimize the awards (which I'm not) or having it sounding like sour grapes. I can only say it's not those things.

To play Devil's Advocate on these awards. Who really cares, other than the comic creators mainly on this site?

I do think it's nice to have awards for webcomics. I was happy for my buddy Steve Ogden when Moon Town won last year. But we did both wonder the same thing. It seems like there's a group of people here that get excited about it, and they go out and talk about it. They are mostly comic creators.

It doesn't seem as if the "general public" really participates much. Sure you post the awards on your site hoping your readers will participate, but I think the truth is that very few do, except maybe to vote for your comic. Particularly the nomination process is not a quick and easy thing to do.

Maybe someone can share voting numbers, but I seem to recall them being quite low.

I wonder if it would be better to actually brand these awards as an "industry" award by ones peers instead of a "general" award. You'd have comic creators register - and by registering all they need to do is show a website where they are currently creating comics. Then you just have them vote.

It seems this way it is much clearer about what the awards are. And I think, a bit more meaningful. To be blunt, it would make more sense to me than having it now the way it is where either the most popular comics win, or those who promote themselves best win.

I think you'd get far more interesting results, too.

Anyway, my take on it. People will disagree. That's how I see it. Maybe it's too late to even discuss, don't know.
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the awards are generally an industry deal as you have to be involved in the production, distribution or promotion of comics in order to nominate, which is actually a slightly wider scope than the Webcartoonists' Choice Awards had, but it's still not open to everyone.

As for actual numbers, that might take a bit of tracking down on my part. I do have them, but after a quick search I can't tell you where. Yes, they were lower than I would have liked but last year's awards were quite rushed as we were determined to get a 2009 awards going and not having a year without either the WCCAs or an equivalent. Also at the height of the awards my house move came through and due to a mix up with the person that was arranging the phone line we spent a couple of weeks without internet.

There's absolutely no reason for that to happen this year, but I do have a deputy chair in the form of Chilari, whose unfortunate responsibility it would be to take over from me if something disasterous happened again.

A lot of the people who did nominate though have never posted on these forums to my knowledge. In fact the majority hadn't, so we did get the word out there to an extent.

This year, there is a lot more in the way of active promotion happening on my part. Things seem to be going better this year than last and this year is really the test. We've done it once, but it was rushed and we didn't really know what we were doing. This year there's been more time to prepare, more time to get people on board and we can look at last year and see what didn't really go to plan and be more realistic this year about what we can achieve and what we need to do.

Blog
Novil

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TWCL awards did pretty okay last year. We started with zero and had a nice award ceremony in the end. The TWCL team already has more “high-profile” judges this year. But, of course, the main goal this year is to generate more buzz about the awards. This was not the main goal last year. Last year was a trial to see if and how everything works.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Devils Advocate on the Awards and a Proposal Reply with quote

I was thinking while we now have a member of the year and moderator of the year award, maybe we should add more, the more awards the better

Sort of like with videogames, u get best action game of the year, best rpg, etc. Maybe we could have categories like, most informative member of the year, member that should be upgraded to a mod, most helpful member, most entertaining member, and Im sure theres a whole lot more people could think of. We also could start each by having nominations again.

What do u think?
jaygee
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Devils Advocate on the Awards and a Proposal Reply with quote

PeceEquisse wrote:
I was thinking while we now have a member of the year and moderator of the year award, maybe we should add more, the more awards the better

Sort of like with videogames, u get best action game of the year, best rpg, etc. Maybe we could have categories like, most informative member of the year, member that should be upgraded to a mod, most helpful member, most entertaining member, and Im sure theres a whole lot more people could think of. We also could start each by having nominations again.

What do u think?

Sorry, am a bit dim-witted sometimes - who was it again who's won the 2009 TWCL Member of the Year Award? And I seem to have somehow missed the 2009 TWCL Mod of the Year Award completely. My fault, I know.
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Devils Advocate on the Awards and a Proposal Reply with quote

jaygee wrote:
PeceEquisse wrote:

What do u think?

Sorry, am a bit dim-witted sometimes - who was it again who's won the 2009 TWCL Member of the Year Award? And I seem to have somehow missed the 2009 TWCL Mod of the Year Award completely. My fault, I know.

I'll totally beat you to mod of the year! I'm clearly so much more awesome!

PeceEquisse: those suggestions aren't workable. For a start, being a moderator is not a prize, it's a responsibility. Informative people aren't *necessarily* responsible. And we don't necessarily need any more mods. Between Wendy, JayGee and me, we're keeping on top of spam (most of the time), and spam deletion is really the only thing we do. And we don't already have awards for best mod and best member.
jaygee
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Devils Advocate on the Awards and a Proposal Reply with quote

PeceEquisse wrote:
...member that should be upgraded to a mod...

<giggle>
That sounds soooo "Matrix Reloaded". Neo: "Hmm, upgrades!"
Chilari wrote:

I'll totally beat you to mod of the year! I'm clearly so much more awesome!

Laughing
No doubt about that. Because (and sticking to the upgrade terminology), you are M0D AW3 50M3 Version 3.2.16.
I am just M0D Version 1.0 (Beta).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> TWCL Awards All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum