TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are past winners eligible to be nominated again?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NekoMusume
Meow Meow Meow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't see how disqualifying a prior winner is required or for that matter, fair, if we were to do this, we would be one of a very small list of awards that do.

If a comic is the the best of the bunch, then so be it regardless of if the comic was the best last year too.

My views are not representative of my clients,
Any community that I may be a member of or my employer

Last edited by NekoMusume on Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dutch
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You lot like the qords and idea of 'disqualification', eh?

Disqualifying means they've done something wrong or outside the rules. These comics who's been given these pats on the back have clearly won, so they couldn't have done anything wrong or broken any rules to be disqualified. It's not disqualifying. It's recognising they've reached that level of success already.
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allowing comics to be nominated again after they win means that, if that comic remains the best, it wins again. If it is no longer the best, it will not win again. Simple. If another comic surpasses it during that year, then, quite simply, it wins instead of last year's winner. But if last year's winner is still the best, but not allowed to be nominated because it's already won, then the second best will get an award which proclaims that it's the best, when it isn't, which I don't think is fair on the comic that really is the best and the creators of that comic. Repeated wins would demonstrate that a comic is continuing to be good, even that it is improving if other comics also nominated are very good too.
Novil

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even fanboys are usually getting tired after the third win in a row and vote for another comic they like the next year.

Moreover, the winner is determined by a jury that will contain at least one or two different judges each year.

So I donít see a problem.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutch wrote:
Other reasonable people may think I'm a complete dill for thinking this though, and fair enough! Some of you may think along the lines 'I've got it once, I'm gonna go for THREE IN A ROW!

I just... don't think it's necessary. You won. You've been recognised. Someone else will be recognised next year because yours doesn't need to be any more. You've climbed that pinnacle. Time to find another mountain.

You mean youíre not an insecure, attention-whoring egomaniac? Then what are you doing drawing webcomics?

NekoMusume wrote:
I really don't see how disqualifying a prior winner is required or for that matter, fair, if we were to do this, we would be one of a very small list of awards that do.

Dutch wrote:

Disqualifying means they've done something wrong or outside the rules. These comics who's been given these pats on the back have clearly won, so they couldn't have done anything wrong or broken any rules to be disqualified. It's not disqualifying. It's recognising they've reached that level of success already.

Exactly. Well, one convert is probably more than I could have reasonably hoped for. Thanks, Dutch.

Iím wondering if what Iím asking people to do here is to think too much outside the box. There seems to be a mindset that there can only be one legitimate type of awardóthe kind that rewards performance solely within a given yearóand that any other definition of an award is somehow a perversion of the One True Way.

The Nobel Prizes, peopleóprobably the most famous and prestigious awards in the world. Itís not like I had to look to the arcane and obscure to come up with an example.

Chilari wrote:
Allowing comics to be nominated again after they win means that, if that comic remains the best, it wins again. If it is no longer the best, it will not win again. Simple. If another comic surpasses it during that year, then, quite simply, it wins instead of last year's winner.

You make it sound like itís not even a subjective judgment.

Novil wrote:
Moreover, the winner is determined by a jury that will contain at least one or two different judges each year. I donít see the problem.

The judges donít make the nominations. They can only choose among what the nominating public gives them. If itís the same comics every year, thatís the problem.

Look, I donít enjoy howling into the wind. Itís clear that what Iím expressing is the minority view, to say the least. If you want to stick to what you feel is a more standard definition of an award, it really is okay, nobodyís getting hurt. Letís move on.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcmonroe wrote:
Dutch wrote:
Other reasonable people may think I'm a complete dill for thinking this though, and fair enough! Some of you may think along the lines 'I've got it once, I'm gonna go for THREE IN A ROW!

I just... don't think it's necessary. You won. You've been recognised. Someone else will be recognised next year because yours doesn't need to be any more. You've climbed that pinnacle. Time to find another mountain.

You mean youíre not an insecure, attention-whoring egomaniac? Then what are you doing drawing webcomics?

Quietly having fun pretending I'm drawing something worthy of, first, my time and effort, and the attention of like minded people! Sorry for not taking webcomics as seriously as we're supposed to Razz

rcmonroe wrote:
Dutch wrote:

Exactly. Well, one convert is probably more than I could have reasonably hoped for. Thanks, Dutch.

Heh. I'm not a convert, I just agree with you.

Things like the Oscars, etc, are awarded to finished products, so a person can easily (if they're Meryl Streep) be nominated year after year, because they're being nominated for separate, complete pieces of work, each one different and stand alone (generally). The same webcomic being nominated and (maybe) winning year after year means they're getting several awards of the same kind for the same piece of work which isn't finished yet.

Like RC (I think), I don't mind either way which way these awards decide to go. I probably won't pay much attention to them anyway (cos I'm an equal opportunity sort of bloke as far as awards go, so it's only fair I'm generally indifferent to all of them! Razz). I guess that just underlines my response to RC at the top of this post again, eh? Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutch wrote:
Things like the Oscars, etc, are awarded to finished products, so a person can easily (if they're Meryl Streep) be nominated year after year, because they're being nominated for separate, complete pieces of work, each one different and stand alone (generally). The same webcomic being nominated and (maybe) winning year after year means they're getting several awards of the same kind for the same piece of work which isn't finished yet.

Couldn't have said it better myself (if I could have, I would have!)

Dutch wrote:
Like RC (I think), I don't mind either way which way these awards decide to go. I probably won't pay much attention to them anyway

Indeed. I've already moved on to my next fruitless pursuit.
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, sorry.
I just realised it's been over two weeks.

I posted the thread in the Committee Room forum and the results came back with a unanimous decision not to rule out previous winners this year, but there is still an option of putting in a limit on how many times a comic can win.

As the limit isn't going to be just once then it won't effect anything this year so it's something that will continued to be discussed later on and will be included in the feedback form that will be posted on the awards site after the ceremony goes live. That's a subject for another thread though.

Blog
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> TWCL Awards All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum