TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The 2010 site is now live! See any problems?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:21 am    Post subject: The 2010 site is now live! See any problems? Reply with quote

That's right the 2010 awards site is now live. There's not much there yet, but there will be soon.

Although what's there largely looks like last year's site with a new colour scheme, there is some updated code behind it, so in the unlikely event that there's any funky layout problems and such please let us know.

Blog

Last edited by wendyw on Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Luke

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "click here to see the awards from last year" isn't clickable for me.

EDIT: Hey, 500 posts. :I
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, that's my bad there.
I'll sort that one out. Thanks for pointing it out.

Blog
Dutch
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This time of year again already? Goes fast, eh?
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we've still got quite a while until the nominations are open, but we've been organising thngs for quite a while now.

It's good to get the site updated well enough in advance though, just to let anyone who wanders by know that things are going ahead.

Blog
TheDru1d

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A link would come in handy. http://2010.thewebcomiclistawards.com/. I had to get there through another topic. (the one about footers) I have two comments on the site. The fontsize could be larger, it was a little hard on my eyes in combination with the purple background. Also, the link in the top left corner which takes you back home (not that there's another place to go atm) is not as well aligned within the menubar as the others are.
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for forgetting the link there.

What browser and resolution are you looking at the site on?

Blog
TheDru1d

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ie 8, 1152x864
NekoMusume
Meow Meow Meow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDru1d wrote:
ie 8, 1152x864

Thats odd, have you calibrated your display?
Could also be that ie8 is, it's self, about 320000 miles away from web standards compliant, granted its better than ie7 or ie6 but it's still rather brain dead.

Can you try it in a web standards compliant browser, like opera, firefox, safari or chrome?

Thanks

My views are not representative of my clients,
Any community that I may be a member of or my employer
TheDru1d

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tried firefox, it changed nothing
NekoMusume
Meow Meow Meow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDru1d wrote:
tried firefox, it changed nothing

Odd, quick question do you calibrate?

Is anyone else having this issue?

dbldutch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tested it on Safari, Chrome, and Firefox on a MAC. It looks the same in all three. The Type size is a bit small. The CSS code is more than just a bit messy. It looks like it was adapted from something else? There might be conflicts in some of the styles. Lots of stuff going on here that I am having a hard time following.

If you change the CSS to the following the size and positioning issues in the title and body copy would be addressed. Even then however, you still have underlying conflicts that might show itself later.

For instance, in some places the code specs font size in ems and in other places pixels? There is a lot of complex class distinctions for what is essentially a very simple site. (As far as I can see?)

Anyway, I am not a code guy, and I am not designing the site, and you might be anticipating some functionality that I don't know about. so take it for what it is worth.

Code:
#small{
   position:relative;
   float:left;
   margin-top: -5px;
   margin-left:1em;
   font-size:1.2em;

}

#small2{
   position:relative;
   float:right;
   margin-top: -5px;
   margin-right:1em;
   font-size:1.2em;
}

.stdLayout #websitetitle{

height:px;
   width:100%;   
   font-size:1.0em;
   line-height:2.5em;   
}

p,h1,pre {

margin:0px 10px auto 10px;
   font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
   font-size:12px;
   line-height: 1.5em;
   text-align:justify;
   text-decoration:none;

}

If my life is a linear tale then it is a line that twists upon itself in such a way to form a knot that cannot be undone.
NekoMusume
Meow Meow Meow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbldutch wrote:
I've tested it on Safari, Chrome, and Firefox on a MAC. It looks the same in all three. The Type size is a bit small. The CSS code is more than just a bit messy. It looks like it was adapted from something else?

Yes it was.
I estimate it to be in places about 10 years old, it was originally expanded to support the titan engine in 2003-04 then streamlined when nekoKitsune came out. During the course of 2 years it has been changed to accommodate other nekoKitsune sites have different plugins (hence the other code).

Some of the plugins that I may be introducing to this site.

It's a generic, one size fits all, nekoKitsune base css.

The timescale around the original was less than ideal and as of this, it a less than perfect conception and I haven't had the time to replace it with the new version.

When may I get around to replacing this with the new nekoKitsune default?

Well, thats hard to say but it will be replaced at the latest by the time that version 2.0 is out.

Why is the type size so small?

I, at the time, liked it that way but I'll edit it in abit.

dbldutch wrote:

There might be conflicts in some of the styles. Lots of stuff going on here that I am having a hard time following.

Oh yes, it is less than ideal, but given the changes that would be needed to the views, it is not a viable option right now to fix them.

I will, if time allows, be replacing this with a copy of V2RC and its new css set.

dbldutch wrote:

For instance, in some places the code specs font size in ems and in other places pixels? There is a lot of complex class distinctions for what is essentially a very simple site. (As far as I can see?)

Other than the admin interface, you would be right, at least in the views not perhaps in the engine and my framework that supports it.

What can I say, the css is old and actually prefer using em/en for items I want to be using a relative unit and px for things I do not.

I know that makes me evil, doesn't it, but so what, it works and it validates as CSS level 3.

Just a note, one instance of the software operates every site powered by it on the server and before a slight rework, all of the sites used different views but the same CSS file, some of the code is left over from that.
NekoMusume
Meow Meow Meow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbldutch wrote:
I've tested it on Safari, Chrome, and Firefox on a MAC. It looks the same in all three. The Type size is a bit small. The CSS code is more than just a bit messy. It looks like it was adapted from something else? There might be conflicts in some of the styles. Lots of stuff going on here that I am having a hard time following.

TheDru1d wrote:
A link would come in handy. http://2010.thewebcomiclistawards.com/. I had to get there through another topic. (the one about footers) I have two comments on the site. The fontsize could be larger, it was a little hard on my eyes in combination with the purple background. Also, the link in the top left corner which takes you back home (not that there's another place to go atm) is not as well aligned within the menubar as the others are.

Right, I have enlarged the text, swapped out the views and the css, is that better?

Next, I can't to find a single device in this house that makes the background look purple, I've tried it on five Macintosh (1 500mhz G3 iMac running 10.3, 1 Powerbook G4 Alu 1.65GHz running 10.5, 1 Macbook Pro 17" Core2Duo 2.5GHz pre unibody, A Quicksilver G4 1.65GHz dual with samtron monitor and my developer workstation, a late 08 8 core Mac Pro with Samsung 2233hd and Apple Studio 21" running 10.6. Where possible with Opera 10.6, Safari, Firefox 3.6/4.0RC4, iCab and Chrome), 3 PC's running Windows 7 (one on a samsung tv, one with a glossy screen and one with a matt), 1 iPod Touch 3g, PS3 and HTC hero GSM 2.0 and not a single one is showing this bug.

Can you give me a screenshot?

dbldutch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks blue, and light blue to me.

If my life is a linear tale then it is a line that twists upon itself in such a way to form a knot that cannot be undone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> TWCL Awards All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum