TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Continentals: Murder, mystery, adventure--And steampunk!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheDeeMan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a new update at The Continentals. Here's the teaser:

"IN DARKNESS EVIL DWELLS!!!"

Just because you can't see the killer in the darkness doesn't mean he isn't watching you from within it. Just because you're paranoid--Doesn't mean he isn't there waiting to kill you!!!

The Continentals
http://www.webcomicsnation.com/moniquem/continentals/series.php

It's like Sherlock Holmes meets the 60's tv show "The Avengers" with a dash of James Bond for flavor.
www.webcomicsnation.com/moniquem/continentals/series.php
TheDeeMan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like we're starting to get some recognition from the steampunk community:

http://blog.wingsofsteam.net/

It's more or less just a shout out. But how cool is that? Smile

Dee

It's like Sherlock Holmes meets the 60's tv show "The Avengers" with a dash of James Bond for flavor.
TheDeeMan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"MURDER IN MIRROR IMAGE!!!"

With pieces of shattered glass reflecting his every move like hundreds of tiny mirrors, a killer makes his grand escape from the murder scene.

Wait. Did I say "the" killer? Or "a" killer? Hmm?...

The Continentals

Dee

TheDeeMan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"A MURDER OF CROWS!!"

The murder of Lord Ashton draws the usual suspects: Police and lookyloos. Both drawn by the scent of blood for the exact same reasons--The spectacle and the gory details.

The Continentals

Dee

TheDeeMan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"AN INVITATION TO MURDER!!!"

Lord Ashton's home has become a crime scene overflowing with police searching for every clue and interrogating every witness they can find. But two late arrivals on the scene have come with a royal invitation to murder.

The Continentals

Ddd

TheDeeMan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVANT!!!"

His name is Smythe. Jeffrey Tiffen Smythe. Continental Operative of the A.T.S.T.K and agent in her majesty's service. Solving grisly crimes like the murders plaguing Mansfordshire is his business--And business is good!!!

The Continentals
Updates on Mondays

Dee

TheDeeMan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"THIS LADY IS NO GENTLEMAN!!!"

Don't let your eyes deceive you. This dude doesn't look like a lady. Beneath that top hat and tailored suit this "man" is all woman. And she'll break your heart or your face depending on her mood. And either way--You'll love her for it.

The Continentals

Updates on Mondays

Dee

TheDeeMan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"A ROOM WITH A VIEW--TO MURDER!!!"

Within the posh hallowed halls of a life lived in splendor Smythe, Fiona, and Inspector Norfolk inspect the gentile setting of a brutal murder.

The Continentals

Updates on Mondays

Dee

TheDeeMan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'DOES THE CORPSE MATCH THE DRAPES?"

To Smythe, Fiona, and inspector Norfolk the only thing that seems out of place in Lord Ashton's study is his own blood soaked, battered body surrounded by newspaper clippings who's dates countdown to murder.

The Continentals

Updates on Mondays

Dee

TheDeeMan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"A MURDER IN HIGH SOCIAL STANDING"

Smythe, Fiona, and Inspector Norfolk figure that being rich, respected, and a member of the social elite didn't spare Lord Ashton from the killers brutal hands. But did it make him a target?

The Continentals

Updates on Mondays

Dee

TheDeeMan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"A HOMOCIDE IN FINE DETAIL"

Smythe, Fiona, and Norfolk turn to Higgins, Lord Ashton's man servant, for answers. What he heard and saw that fateful night may hold the details to murder.

The Continentals

Updates on Mondays

Dee

TheDeeMan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"A COMFORTABLE SENSE OF ILL AT EASE"

With Smythe, Fiona, and Norfolk as a riveted audience, Higgins gives an account of Lord Ashton's slow descent into madness.

The Continentals

Updates on Mondays

Dee

Zoe Robinson
Resident Diet Lawyer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, I've been looking forward to this comic starting (and then when it does, I didn't notice. Bah!) so I've just read your archives with a lot of enjoyment.

I'm a big fan of historicals and something about this one really caught my fancy. I think it's your Lady Fiona; who looked like an interesting character from the previews, although I have to admit I'm finding her blasť attitude a little off-putting in what I've read so far. I realise she's likely using attitude as a shield to Victorian-era male prejudice, etc. but being upper class, she should already have a shield against that; which makes me feel she's basically being a prick because she enjoys it, which is off-putting in a protagonist.

Your artwork is fantastic, by the way. I love the way you're mixing clean and rough line work with lots of feeling of movement. It's really helping to drive the action on. There's a lot of detail here that rewards spending time looking at the artwork. I don't normally do that with a webcomic - I read the text, scan the artwork and move on most of the time - but in print comics I tend to spend more time on both. This feels more like a print comic, so I've been unconsciously treating it like that and it pays off.

Overall, this is a good one and I've bookmarked it so I don't forget to read it any more. Smile

TheDeeMan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoe Robinson wrote:
I have to say, I've been looking forward to this comic starting (and then when it does, I didn't notice. Bah!) so I've just read your archives with a lot of enjoyment.

I'm a big fan of historicals and something about this one really caught my fancy. I think it's your Lady Fiona; who looked like an interesting character from the previews, although I have to admit I'm finding her blasť attitude a little off-putting in what I've read so far. I realise she's likely using attitude as a shield to Victorian-era male prejudice, etc. but being upper class, she should already have a shield against that; which makes me feel she's basically being a prick because she enjoys it, which is off-putting in a protagonist.

Your artwork is fantastic, by the way. I love the way you're mixing clean and rough line work with lots of feeling of movement. It's really helping to drive the action on. There's a lot of detail here that rewards spending time looking at the artwork. I don't normally do that with a webcomic - I read the text, scan the artwork and move on most of the time - but in print comics I tend to spend more time on both. This feels more like a print comic, so I've been unconsciously treating it like that and it pays off.

Overall, this is a good one and I've bookmarked it so I don't forget to read it any more. Smile

Hi Zoe. Glad you're enjoying TC. And yeah, I don't blame you for missing it. It took FOREVER to start and a lot of folks got frustrated and had to rediscover the comic. Which I'm gad they did.

As for Fiona? It took me a minute to get a full grasp of the character. She started out as JUST a sidekick and the story was originally titled "Smythe". But as I wrote it it became clear that she was no mere sidekick but a full partner and something of a force of nature. So the first few pages she appears in are somewhat out of character for her (I was looking for less attitude and more cheshire cat playful) as I found my way. So I think you'll notice the change as the story goes on and you see more interaction between her and Smythe as partners on the case and in sync to the point of almost finishing eachothers thoughts and sentences.

One point though. Fiona isn't upper class. Far from it. A "fish cleaners daughter" from Swansea, Wales is how she describes herself. She married Lord Montgomery "Monty" Fiziwigg (the literary inspiration for the fictional character Alan Quartermaine) when she was 25 and already a notorious adventuress and he was in his early 70's and a legendary adventurer. Polite upper class society never forgave him OR her for the marriage. And even now, long after Monty's death, still have a grudge against Fiona. But you'll see all that played out in the story. Smile

The artwork is by my partner Monique MacNaughton who I've perviously worked with on "G.A.A.K: Groovy Ass Alien Kreatures" for which we were nominated for a Glyph Comic Award in 2007. And everything we do does have a print feel about it because everything we do is fully intended to be a print comic including The Continentals. Smile

Again, glad you're enjoying TC and feel ree to drop me a line antime to let me know what you think of it.

Dee

Prestwick

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creepy fan alert! Luckily I haven't gotten that popular yet although I have had an angry feminist though.

I like the art but then I'm a sucker for this kind of combination of dashing and swashbuckling adventure and the art is gradually improving.

One slight improvement, if its night a Victorian copper would most likely have a lamp with him as he goes about his round. Crossdressing ladies however are all well above board no complaints here! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 2 of 24

Jump to: