TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Promoting a Book - Where to send Press releases/how to pub

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marooned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Promoting a Book - Where to send Press releases/how to pub Reply with quote

As I prepare for the release of my first book, I've begun thinking about where to send out press releases to get as much pub as possible, in addition to any grass roots efforts. I figured we could all brainstorm on it and we can all benefit from it, how's that?

Items so far:

Fleen
This Week in Webcomics
Art Patient
Gigcast Webcomic Wire
Digital Strips
Comics worth Reading takes submissions, however she does not guarantee that she'll review everything that crosses her desk. Check out her Submission Requirements and see if you're willing to send her something. (Seems like a long shot)

That's about all I got right now. Some I have previous relationships with, and some are just blogs I know of. Granted, sending a release to these blogs does not guarantee you pub. However, NOT sending a release to them DOES guarantee you won't get any pub. Get it?

I'm sure there are other outlets I'm missing, so let me know and I'll add to the list.

Grass Roots Efforts
Then comes the basic stuff, such as (leaving off promo on your own blog, that's obvious).

E-mail list of friends and family - and ask them to spread the word.
Post to your Facebook Page
Post in general to Facebook
Twitter it

I've talked to a local comic shop and she said I could do a book signing there if I like. I'm not sure I want to yet - 1) I'm a total unknown, and 2) I may not have enough books to even do it. If I do, I'd want some things at smaller price points too - if she'd allow it.

What are your other ideas? Let's build a good list.

The other question is WHEN you do you do this blast? For me, it's going to be at the start of pre-order.

Last edited by Marooned on Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
ryan.noriega
Plan Eleven

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mentioned doing a signing at a shop, but did they say that they would stock your book? That seems like it would be the hardest thing. And since that would be your point of purchase, could you set up some sort of ad display in the shop? I think there's also a Comic Shop News network, but they seem to be more mainstream.

Edit: found this with a simple google search. $89, but it'd be a hell of a boost.

Marooned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I don't think she will stock my book, it's kind of a one time shot to get some exposure to the locals and sell onhand stock. My problem is that I doubt I'll have much extra anyway. I'm undecided on whether to do it or not, although it seems like an easy opportunity to get in front of people, even if I make zero sales.

$89 isn't bad, but as I say - I won't really have extra books.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comics worth Reading takes submissions, however she does not guarantee that she'll review everything that crosses her desk.

Check out her Submission Requirements and see if you're willing to send her something.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit - whoops, I guess she does review books. Good for the list, although probably a long shot, and most likely she would not work with my schedule either. Really if I don't get the pub during the preorder process, it's not going to be that much help.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any sci-fi communities that you're involved with?

I would do the signing if given a chance. Even if you sell one or two books, that's surely one or two people that will be reading your comic in the future. Also, you won't have any extra stock? At least have 5 to 10 extra books!

Also, you should check with the comic shop to see if they'll sell on consignment. Some shops will do this for local creators.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I've been trying on the sci-fi community thing, most of my efforts have fallen flat, so no fruit there.

On the extra books thing, it's all a matter of how many preorders I get. Money is very tight right now, and I just don't have much to order extra books. We'll see how it goes.

I'm making so little on these books, I'd probably lose money on consignment. I'd rather sell them direct this time through.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marooned wrote:
While I've been trying on the sci-fi community thing, most of my efforts have fallen flat, so no fruit there.

On the extra books thing, it's all a matter of how many preorders I get. Money is very tight right now, and I just don't have much to order extra books. We'll see how it goes.

I'm making so little on these books, I'd probably lose money on consignment. I'd rather sell them direct this time through.

That's understandable. It's hard to make much profit on POD. I don't sell books through a store for the same reason.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tpiro wrote:
It's hard to make much profit on POD. I don't sell books through a store for the same reason.

Well, it's hard to make a profit on colour POD. With black and white, it's no problem at all! (I sell to stores, but so far only to stores where I know the owner or have at least visited the store in person.) So there's at least that one advantage to boring old b/w. Hurrah.

If you're selling direct, then consider adding small shows to your grassroots campaign. Not just comic shows, but even something like a local fair (where tables can usually be had for cheap) can be worthwhile. There's really no substitute for meeting a potential reader in person, chatting them up, putting a personalized sketch in the book for them, or handing them a flyer (with a pitch for the website) if they aren't ready to buy. If you can make a good impression, they are much more likely to be a loyal fan than someone who just visited your site via a link.

Sequential Tart does reviews, though you will have to inquire about submissions.

Also, if you have a local community-based newspaper, consider sending them a press release. They will often run articles about local talent.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, I'm not sure if your book is POD or if you are doing a print run, but I have recently had a bit of experience in this area which I'm willing to share.

When my (admittedly non-webcomic) book, Silly Beggar, was released, press releases were sent out to all the major UK newspapers and relevant local papers. For the bigger papers a review copy was sent out along with the release, but for the smaller papers, the press release just said where review copies could be obtained from.

The Press release should at least contain: The title (and subtitle) of the book, author name, publisher (if self-published you may have created a publisher name), release date, price, if full colour say so, ISBN, URL, About the Book, Praise for the book (the quotes normally found on the back), Brief author bio, details of appearances you are making for signings, details of where review copies / images / photos etc can be obtained, and any other relevant information.

As you've said in your original post, not every press release will make it into the paper. Of all those sent out in our campaign, only two national newspapers ran with the story but their coverage alone led to a lot more exposure via radio and television interviews, so in my experience sending out a well-considered press release was a very worthwhile exercise.

Hope this is of some use to you.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually sent a press release out in the past to local papers and had a feature done on me in one of them. I'm assuming they would at least follow up and print something small about the book.

Thanks for the info Spencey, that will help in crafting this one. I am going POD, so my stock will be mostly based on preorders. I really won't have review copies to send out. I live in Chicago though, so it's highly unlikely The Sun Times or the Chicago Tribune would print anything, especially in these hard times for papers. They are running very little if any local content nowadays.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most newspapers nowadays have online versions that might be willing to do a feature on you (especially if you write said feature yourself).

So even if you don't get in the print version, you might be able to get on the online version - which is actually better since people can just click on a link.

Vote for Familiar Ground!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: